A new question is answered every 9 seconds


Resolved Question:

I am fairly sure I have a kidney stone. First symptoms were 4 days ago with intense pain. (Controlled by old supply of Hydrocodone) Pain went away until tonight. Pain is now back but lower and increasing. I have been drinking lots of water, juice, and coke. Frequent urination has been clear to light yellow. At what point do I move beyond pain meds and go into a doctor?

Category: Family Physician-GP

Ask Your Own Question

Category: Select Speciality
Dr. Deepu Sebin Sebastian is online now

Expert:  Dr. Deepu Sebin Sebastian replied 4 Days.


Thank you for choosing DoctorSpring.

Could you please provide some additional details so that I give a more solid opinion. You can reply as a followup

1. Where exactly is the pain ? side of the abdomen / left side / mid abdomen / elsewhere ?

2. How long does one pain episode last ? Is it a colicky kind of pain ? (on and off)

3. Any nausea / vomiting / fever / loose stools ?

4. Do you have the pain coming to your groin ?

Thank you

Patient replied :

1. The pain seems to center on my left lower abdomen in the area of the bladder or right above it.

2. I have been pain free for the last 3 days with only slight discomfort. Tonight it is best described as a constant pulsing pressure but radiates from time to time causing discomfort just above the left testis. The pulses of pain usually only last a few seconds to a minute or so.

3. On Saturday I did have nausea. Today No nausea or vomiting. Temperature is 98.5. I feel like I am constipated but stools have been relatively normal.

4. Other then as described above no pain in the groin.

Additional information: I am now feeling a nearly constant need to urinate but am finding that my bladder is not full. Urination is successful but only in very small amounts.

Expert:  Dr. Deepu Sebin Sebastian replied 3 Days.


Thank you for the additional information.

The pain and other symptoms are suggestive of Nephrolithiasis - Ureteric or Kidney stone.

Now to your specific question - to wait (for spontaneous stone passage) or to get medical help -

I would recommend you to get in touch with ER / your Doctor. There are several reasons (1) The pain has been there already for 4 days (2) Your Doctor will most likely order and Xray / Ultrasound. This will help in identifying the location and size of the stone. Not all stones will pass naturally. Size and the location of the stone will give a better idea on whether to wait or not (3) Some stones which can cause obstruction to urine may cause strain to Kidneys which should be prevented. (4) Your Doctor may prescribe you medications like Tamsulosin which can help and ease the stone passage.

Hope this helps
Feel free to ask followups
Thank you

Dr. Deepu Sebin Sebastian
Category: Select Speciality
MD, Internal Medicine - Stanley Medical School
Medical School - MBBS - Govt. Medical College, Kottyaam

Diagnostic Prediction - Stanford School of Medicine
Received Specialty training in Critical Care, Cardiology, Neurology, Gastroenterology, Nephrology from Stanley Medical College and in Endocrinology, Rheumatology.

Hematology and Geriatrics from Madras Medical College.
Dr. Deepu Sebin Sebastian and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Make informed and better medical decisions.

We believe that getting medical questions answered and getting qualified opinions from certified Doctors should be easier.

Specialists from
UK, US, Ind,
Aus & NZ

48000+ consults
in 2015

98.1% Satisfied

100% Satisfaction

How it works

  • Submit question, upload files, if any
  • Consult is assigned to a specialist
  • Doctor replies, Mean response time: 2 hours
  • Intimation by email, ask follow-ups

Recommendations based on

About DoctorSpring.com

Doctor Spring is a novel online Doctor consultation platform where you can get your medical questions answered by leading Doctors. Just Submit your question and rest assured that you will consult a Doctor easily. Once you submit the question, the Doctor from the concerned specialty will reply within hours. You can always ask more questions or add details with follow-up question options and make it an online doctor chat. You may use this service to consult a specialty or for getting medical second opinion. All paid services come with a MEDNET quality assurance and 100% money back guarantee.

DoctorSpring in News


Make informed and better medical decisions.

Close x

Your account has been deleted.

PS: You can unsubscribe from emails from DoctorSpring, by going to
Unsubscribe link provided in them.