Nervous in front of crowds. Pill to relax me.

Hi. I get very nervous in front of crowds. It's a fear of mine. Is there any pills of something I can take to relax me?

Category: Psychiatrist

Expert:  Dr. Srikanth Reddy replied 4 Days.

Thanks for using DoctorSpring.com for posting your query.
I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.
The condition that you are having is basically phobia (agoraphobia). This is a disorder of anxiety and occurs cause of imbalance of certain neurotransmitters in the brain. especially serotonin, nor adrenaline, and dopamine to some extent. Medicines are the best options to take care of these symptoms. Paroxetine is the the most popular medicine and my drug of choice. I generally prescribe my patients 12.5 mg per day at night which takes care of anxiety symptoms. Also certain medicines like propranolol and clonazepam can be give as required when there is a panic episode or expected situation where panic attack can appear.
Also there is an option of cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT). This therapy is taken by either a psychologist or a psychiatrist in which the therapist identifies impaired cognitions (Thoughts) and try to correct them. They are 15-20 min weekly session and there should be around 8-10 sessions to help you with your illness.
Hope this helps,
In case if you have any further query, do let me know.
Kind regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy

How exactly do I go about getting this medication?

Expert:  Dr. Srikanth Reddy replied 3 Days.

You can request your family physician for a prescription for Paroxetine 12.5 mg once daily. Try it for a month and let me know if it helps. Otherwise we can change the drug to Clonazepam.

Dr. Srikanth Reddy
Doctor of Medicine (MD), Psychiatry Residency Program,2001 – 2012
M.B.B.S,Mahatma Gandhi Institute Of Medical Sciences, Sevagram

Certificate Course in sex Therapy and Counselling, Sexology and Counselling, A
Sexology,Medikon Sexual Sciences, Mumbai

Training in Advanced Neurology at a leading corporate hospital (CARE hospital) in Hyderabad

Child Psychiatry Training in National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro-Sciences, Bangalore

Sex Therapy and Counsellingat MEDIKON Sexual Sciences, Mumbai.