Helped Over 500,000 patients with 98%+ satisfaction.

Connect & Get Personalized 1-to-1 Answers from Expert Doctors

DoctorSpring > Question Home

No periods after stopping pills

Resolved Question:

Hi doctor,

I am a 26 years old female. I have been on Cliest pills for a while, till last November and stopped using it. The last period I had was on November 25th. After that I haven't had my periods. Both I and my husband are trying for a child and so, I came off the pill. But what is blocking my periods? I started taking pills when I was at my 17. At that time, I was on pills and used to get only 2 periods a year. So, my doctor recommended me to regulate my periods and I was on his medication. I was on it for about 2 years then. After that I came off it and have been on pills on a regular basis and stopped using it on last November. So, for five years, I was continuously on pills. I wish to know whether missing of periods is a normal happening. What should I do to get my periods back? Is there a possibility that I am pregnant, for not getting periods? I did a home pregnancy test, which turned negative, even in a test I conducted today morning. I haven't consulted this with my GP yet. What should I do? Thanks.

Category: Sexologist

Ask Your Own Question

Category: Family Physician-GP
 29 Doctors Online

Thank you for consulting with Doctorspring. I understand that you haven’t had a period since you came off your pill. You have been taking pills continuously for 5 years now. I also note that you were on some pills before starting contraceptive pills because you used to have only two periods a year. I'd like to know what pills you were on earlier. 98% of women resume normal ovulation and can become pregnant within 6 months of discontinuing combined OCP’s like Cilest. OCP's contain Estrogen in Progesterone in doses that prevent ovulation every cycle thus preventing ovulation and in some patients are helpful in regularizing cycles, you may have returned to your old cycle where you had only periods a year. This could mean that you are ovulating only twice a year or even these are non ovulatory cycles. So this is not normal, and you must visit your GP or a gynaecologist who will do a series of tests to check whether your Uterus, tubes and ovaries are normal. Tests must include Hormone levels during various phases of your cycle. This may take some time. You could also try consulting a fertility specialist who may be able to help you even better. I hope this information is of help to you. Do use our free follow up question service for more queries regarding this.

Dr. John Monheit
Category: Family Physician-GP
Residecny: North Colorado Family Medicine
Medical School: The Chicago Medical Center
Dr. John Monheit and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Users who read this, also read:

Make informed and better medical decisions.

Join the 500,000 people who found a smarter, quicker way to get Answers, Recommendations & Expert Opinions.

Expert Doctors at fingertips

Recommendation on next step. Second-opinion.Multi-specialty.

Save Time

Average time for answers: 6 hours.

Save Money

$35 for typical specialist consult vs. $120 for a local appointment.

Free Follow-ups

Clarify, ask further questions for free in private conversation.

100% Satisfaction

Money back guarantee for the 1st reply. MEDNET Quality Board.

Start My Consultation



Doctor Spring is a novel online Doctor consultation platform where you can get your medical questions answered by leading Doctors. Just Submit your question and rest assured that you will consult a Doctor easily. Once you submit the question, the Doctor from the concerned specialty will reply within hours. You can always ask more questions or add details with follow-up question options and make it an online doctor chat. You may use this service to consult a specialty or for getting medical second opinion. All paid services come with a MEDNET quality assurance and 100% money back guarantee.

DoctorSpring in news