Swollen, red and warm to touch knee after fall.

I fell on my knee got up and walked it was skinned but pain not to bad. As a few days went on the skinned healed but now in the evening the knee is a little swollen, red and warm to the touch, the swelling does not go down to the ankle. It hurts a little but I can walk on it comfortably with out a cane. In the morning the knee feels fine and the swelling and redness and the warmth are all gone until late afternoon. I am a female and 78 years old.

Category: Orthopedic Surgeon

Expert:  Dr. Mukesh Tiwari replied 4 Days.

I have read your query with diligence.
It looks from your details you may be suffering from synovitis knee.There may be inflammation of covering of knee.This may be due to trauma.You should avoid heavy activities.Take mild analgesic like Advil for few days..Do cold fomentation. If there is fever then please consult to your doctor and have complete investigation.
Hope this will help you.

Dr. Mukesh Tiwari
Fellowship - Khandaka Hospital, Jaipur
Residency - MS, Rabindranath Tagore Medical College, Udaipur, 2000
Medical School, Internship - MBBS, SMS Medical College, Jaipur, 1995