Helped Over 500,000 patients with 98%+ satisfaction.

Connect & Get Personalized 1-to-1 Answers from Expert Doctors

DoctorSpring > Question Home

Noise-Induced Hearing Loss.

Resolved Question:

my son went to a concert last night. He now has ringing in his ears. He also has muffled hearing.
What can I do and is this permanent?

Category: Family Physician-GP

Ask Your Own Question

Category: HIV- AIDS Specialist
 30 Doctors Online


Thank you for choosing DoctorSpring. I have discussed your concern with our team ENT Surgeon. You son is probably have a noise induced hearing loss (NHL) and inner ear symptoms such as tinnitus due to exposure to loud noise for a prolonged period of time.

This is usually reversible, but repeated exposure to such loud noise can do result in permanent hearing damage. The best approach at this stage is observe how this evolves. DO NOT used headphones. Let him be in quiet place. Please update me after 12 hours how is feeling (any improvement).

Hope this helps
Feel free to ask followups
Thank you

Patient replied :

Thank you so much.
He is still experiencing ringing - today, but he will do as you suggest. Would Ibuprofen help? Should he use earplugs when in a noisy situation?


Ibuprofen won't help, sorry. Just avoiding too noisy situations would do. Even with earphone he should not be exposed to loud music, fireworks etc. The persistent ringing is bit of negative sign. Usually the ringing should not last for more than couple of hours. Do consider visiting a ENT Surgeon.

Hope this helps
Feel free to ask followups
Thank you

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy
Category: HIV- AIDS Specialist
MBBS from Sri Ramachandra University in December 2011
M.Med (Family Medicine) - TNMGR University, Chennai
MBA-MPH in Public Health in March 2016, SRM University
Finished AFIH in March 2016, SRM University
MRCP ( UK ), Internal Medicine, Royal College of Physicians, June 2016
Fellowship in Diabetology from Martin Luther University in January 2017

Currently Resident Physician, in MD Radiodiagnosis - Kamakshi Memorial Hospital, Chennai
Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Users who read this, also read:

Make informed and better medical decisions.

Join the 500,000 people who found a smarter, quicker way to get Answers, Recommendations & Expert Opinions.

Expert Doctors at fingertips

Recommendation on next step. Second-opinion.Multi-specialty.

Save Time

Average time for answers: 6 hours.

Save Money

$35 for typical specialist consult vs. $120 for a local appointment.

Free Follow-ups

Clarify, ask further questions for free in private conversation.

100% Satisfaction

Money back guarantee for the 1st reply. MEDNET Quality Board.

Start My Consultation



Doctor Spring is a novel online Doctor consultation platform where you can get your medical questions answered by leading Doctors. Just Submit your question and rest assured that you will consult a Doctor easily. Once you submit the question, the Doctor from the concerned specialty will reply within hours. You can always ask more questions or add details with follow-up question options and make it an online doctor chat. You may use this service to consult a specialty or for getting medical second opinion. All paid services come with a MEDNET quality assurance and 100% money back guarantee.

DoctorSpring in news