Pain in arms, HERNIATED DISCS IN MRI. Risk of surgery.

I am a 32 year old male in overall good health. I was recently diagnosed with herniated disks: The MRI report is attached. My symptoms have been getting worse over the last four weeks. They include pain in both arms and some intermittent tingling in my left hand.

My main question is whether I should go for surgery or try a more conservative method.

Also, I am wondering whether I am currently at risk of further injury including paralysis.

Thank you for your response,

Jim

Category: Spine Surgeon

Expert:  Dr. Goutham Cugati replied 4 Days.

The MRI is not suggestive of a severe compression of either spinal cord or nerve root. There is only a canal stenosis. I would recommend that you go with conservative line of treatment for some more time. Options are: Medications like pregabalin or gabapentin and physical therapy. Surgery is definitely not required at this stage.

Dr. Goutham Cugati
Residency: Neurosurgery, the Post-Graduate Institute of Neurological Surgery, Dr. Achanta Lakshmipathi Neuro surgical Center, VHS Hospital, Chennai, 2011

Postgraduate in Neurosugery: DNB, National Board of Examinations,
Part 1 - 2008, Part 2 -  2010

Medical School: Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery, JSS Medical College, 2004