Pain in hip and shoulder due to Avascular Necrosis Stage 3

Hello DoCtor,
i HaVe a Pain in My (R) Hip and (L) sHoulDer. THe MRI SHows:
(R) Hip: AVN of (R) femoral Head grade III witH eVidenCe of Core deCompression. (Core deCompression Done on 10/07/2013).
(L) SHoulder: AVN of (L) Humeral Head stage 4.

Do i need Hip and SHoulder replaCement, or tHere is anotHer Sulotion ?! i'm 25 years old female, married witH one baby

Category: Orthopedic Surgeon

Expert:  Dr. Mukesh Tiwari replied 4 Days.

Welcome at Doctor Spring.
I have read your question with diligence.
It looks from your details that you are having pain at your hip & at your shoulder with advanced changes at these areas. (from the imaging studies).

At this stage the replacement surgery is the only option which can give you relief. Considering other alternatives will only unnecessary prolong replacement. Technology has advanced a lot and now a days there are implants which have an excellent and long durability. I am sure your Doctor will guide you in this regard.

Hope this will help you.
Please feel free to ask followup questions.

Do you advice me to do the replacement at this age ? or it's better for me to wait more few years ?
and after replacement i will move my leg and hand normally or my movement will be limited ? i'm so afraid because i'm feeling so much pain and i cant walk normal and i cant move my hand either, and it's embarrassing me

Expert:  Dr. Mukesh Tiwari replied 3 Days.

I can understand your agony.

Looking at your stage of disease ,you should have replacement surgery.Although this is not the age at which most of person have replacement.Replacement surgery is indicated in old age but as your joint is already degenerated so if you keep this for long time then it will lead to more destruction at your joint. So there is no advantage in putting it off any further. And these is a risk that there might be more damage if you delay it. Being said that I recommend to follow your Doctor's recommendation hence he/she will be having the long term followup, physical examination and all the relevant investigational data.

After surgery you will be able to do most of work except squatting ,running,lifting heavy weights,etc.But you will have relief in pain.Your walking will improved.

Hope this all will help you.

Dr. Mukesh Tiwari
Fellowship - Khandaka Hospital, Jaipur
Residency - MS, Rabindranath Tagore Medical College, Udaipur, 2000
Medical School, Internship - MBBS, SMS Medical College, Jaipur, 1995