Palpitations secondary to arrhythmia.

Hi. I have been having heart palpitations for a week now. I'm not sure if I should call it palpitations, but the feeling is like my heart is pounding strongly (jumping, bouncing) up to my throat. I checked the heart rate when I had the feeling, it's 55-60, bp 110/70. Also I am having very slight lightheartedness during the day.

I have seen a cardiologist a month ago for my mild headaches, who did echo, ecg, stress test, and they said I have a very fit heart.

These palpitations are new to me and I am very worried. Should I get my heart tested again?

My weight is 97 kg, height 173 cm, 33 year old male.

Category: Cardiologist

Expert:  Dr. Vivek Mahajan replied 4 Days.

Thank you for your query at DoctorSpring.com.

Your palpitations started 1 week ago. The tests like 2d echo and stress test rule out any structural or coronary abnormality.

However, palpitations could be due to certain electric disturbances leading to arrhythmias. If you have palpitations with lightheadedness almost daily you could benefit from a 24 hour holter examination. This test will capture any electrical abnormality causing arrhythmia during the 24 hours of continuous ecg monitoring.

The other possible reason of palpitations could be anemia.
You do not have to repeat the investigations already done since they are just a month old.

Hope this helps, would be glad to answer any follow-ups.

Dr Vivek Mahajan
DM Cardiology

Hi, thanks for the reply. Is it so serious that I need to worry about or can I see doctor in a month time? Thanks.

Expert:  Dr. Vivek Mahajan replied 3 Days.

Since you had a heart rate of 55 to 60 and BP of 110/70 mm Hg it means that you are stable during such episodes and they are unlikely to be dangerous.

Also your 2d echo and stress ecg are normal. So it also lessens the chance of your symptoms being dangerous.

So in my opinion it may not be a dangerous condition though may be bothersome.

Dr Vivek Mahajan

Dr. Vivek Mahajan
Fellowship: DM, Cardiology, PGIMER, 2013
Residency: MD, Internal Medicine, AIIMS, 2007
Internship: King Edward Memorial (KEM) Hospital, 2003 
Medical School: MBBS, Seth G.S. Medical College, 2002