Parotiditis.

I have a strange throbbing in my cheeks near my salivary glands. I think i may have a throat infection or something... i feel uneasy.... like i'm about to puke but not quite there yet.

I am in ohio and it is very cold. I am from india and not really used to this kind of cold.

Update: After 1 hr
I feel a bit better now. I sat in front of the heater for some time.

Category: ENT Specialist

Expert:  Dr. Sunil Jalan replied 4 Days.

Thank you for using Ask a Doctor Service from Doctor Spring. My apologies for the exceptional delay with the reply due to personal reasons.

Most likely you are suffering from infection of salivary gland (parotiditis). Same time you are getting recurrent cold also. You are having symptoms of nasal allergy also (stuffy nose in morning).

My recommendations are the following, you could follow them under the care of your local Doctor - For salivary gland infection we can start Amoxicillin 500 mg three times daily for 5 days.
You can do gargle with warm saline or disprins for chronic throat infection.
You can take analgesic including Paracetamol 1 gm as and when required if you have any pain

For nasal allergy we can start Mometasone (metaspray or nasonex ) - Nasal spray twice daily for 1 to 3 months
Tab.Levocetrizine 5 mg once daily for 5 days.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to ask if you have any further queries.

Dr. Sunil Jalan
MBBS, DLO,MS(ENT), DNB,DAA

Dr. Sunil Jalan
DAA (Diploma in asthma and allergy) : Christian Medical College, Vellore, 2012
D.N.B (ENT), 2011
Residency - M.S. (Master post graduate degree in otorhinolaryngology),  Christian Medical College, Vellore, 2009
D.L.O. (Diploma in otorhinolaryngology) - Christian Medical College, Vellore, 2007
Medical School - M.B.B.S, S.P. Medical college, Bikaner, 2004