PERINICIOUS ANEMIA, MACROCYTOSIS with HIGH MCV, MCH. CANCER?

Hello, I have pernicious anemia and macrocytosis. I have gone to a Hematologist/Oncologist who stated that I have a choice at this point, whether to have a bone marrow biopsy, because my blood tests are still in the OK range. MY MCV and MCH etc has been high for years old patient102-108. I have a multitude of symptoms, extreme exhaustion, breathlessness, dizzy, headaches, bruising, etc. He said that he believes that it is MCD but my values are still at the stage that they would not treat it, and that all MCD does not become acute. He took more blood tests and I will see him in 2 weeks with my decision regarding the bone marrow test. He said there may come a time when he will not give me a choice regarding the bone marrow test, but for right now, we can treat my symptoms. Oh my B-12 levels and iron are good, but he feels that my B-12 is not being utilized effeciently. My father and uncles also had the same MCV problem. My father passed with esophageal cancer.
My question is: Is there a way to lower your chances of becoming acute? Can life style changes -and what changes - can help you - if so?
Thank you very much!
Nancee

Category: Hematologist

Expert:  Dr. Prasad Eswaran replied 4 Days.

Dear,
your problem seems to be chronic one over years. However, given that you are symptomatic, I would not recommend to wait until you are so sick.
Prevention is better than cure and Early intervention is always the BEST.
I would suggest to do bone marrow evaluation asap as this completes the blood picture study and gives better information regarding your problem. I may be able to comment more with your complete blood work.
Please revert with complete details.
As of now, my suggestion would be to folloe hygenic well balanced diet with additional folate supplements.
regards

Dr. Prasad Eswaran
Doctorate in Medicine (Fellowship in Oncology), DM,  Madras Medical College & Govt. General Hospital, Chennai, India.

Doctor of Medicine (Residency in Radiation Oncology) , MD, Christian Medical College, Vellore, Tamilnadu, India, 2004-06.

Diploma in Medical Radiology & Therapy (Residency in Radiation Oncology), D.M.R.T, Madras Medical College & Govt. General Hospital, Chennai, India, 2004-06.

Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery - M.B.B.S, Govt. Stanley Medical College & Hospital, Chennai, India, 1998-2004.