Pins, needles, tingling sensation in side of body.

I am having a hard time figuring what is going on with me. I was laying on the couch today and all the sudden on the right side of my body. From my neck to my finger tips on my right arm started tingling like it was asleep. I moved it around a lot but nothing helped. I know I didn't sleep on it crooked. My arm is so uncomfortable. Constant volts of pins and needles go down arm and into my finger tips. Today I was at dinner then all the sudden ther right side of my face went completely number. Now, my dad has Bell's Palsy and so does my grandfather. So my mom thinks it might be that. But I learned bell only effects your face and paralyzed it. Not your arms or anything other than the face.
My arms is hurting and my right side of my face is numb but I am not paralyzed anywhere. What could be happening to me?

Category: Neurologist, Medical

Expert:  Dr. Sudhir Kumar replied 4 Days.

Thank you for posting your query at DoctorSpring.com.
I have noted your symptoms and you require further evaluation to determine the cause of your symptoms.
I agree it is not Bell's palsy, as Bell's palsy only affects the face, and paralyses it. It does not affect the arm.
In your case, we need to exclude a disease affecting the left side of brain, such as ischemia (lack of blood supply), thrombosis (clotting of blood) or demyelination (damage to nerve covering called myelin). This can be done by doing an MRI scan of brain.
For relief of symptoms, you can take pregabalin capsules.
Best wishes,
Dr. Sudhir Kumar MD (Medicine), DM (Neurology)
Senior Consultant Neurologist

What type of doctor should I see to get those things done? And could I possibly just have a pinched nerve?

Expert:  Dr. Sudhir Kumar replied 3 Days.

Thanks for getting back. You should visit a neurologist for it. Getting investigation done is always recommended to avoid future attack if any.

Dr. Sudhir Kumar
Senior Residency, Fellowship: DM, Neurology, CMC, Vellore, 2001
Junior Residency: MD, Internal Medicine, CMC, Vellore, 1998
Medical School: MBBS, Christian Medical College, Vellore, 1995