PORT gushed blood when deaccessed. Is it serious?

my port gushed blood when deaccessed...on gown, hands, gauze...then stopped. nurse of 20 years old patienthad never seen that. i had been told that was serious. i was in er. dr. never checked me or looked to see how much blood and sent me home. do you think it is okay?

Category: General Surgeon

Expert:  Dr. Hari Charan Perigela replied 4 Days.

Thank you for your consult at DoctorSpring.com.
As per your query, it is evident that Blood has come out with force through Laparoscopic port.
Sometimes, it does happen.
While removing the port, sudden change of pressure inside the abdomen might cause this. As there is no active bleeding,nothing to worry.
If at all there is active bleeding, there will be oozing of blood from the port site or accumulated inside the abdomen leading to severe pain .
If the vital signs are normal, then nothing to worry. Pulse rate and BP has to be checked.
Would be glad to answer further, If you have any queries.
Wish you good health.

This doesn't make much sense. I haven't had recent laparscopy. I am referring to a power port central line in my right chest.

Expert:  Dr. Hari Charan Perigela replied 3 Days.

Port is usually referred to a Laparoscopic port by us surgeons. I am sorry for that.
If the blood has gushed,then an artery might be injured.
If there is no active bleeding,nothing to worry.
Sometimes,simple pressure or removal of the source of the bleed will allow blood to clot.
It is better to get Ultrasound/Colour doppler of the affected area and see any collection.
Your vital signs like Pulse rate and Blood pressure should be checked.
If you come back after Ultrasound/Colour doppler examination,i will clarify further.
If you have any queries also, I would be happy to answer.

Dr. Hari Charan Perigela
Fellowship: DNB, General Surgery, National Board of Examinations, New Delhi, 2001
Residency: MS, General Surgery, Sri Venkateswara Medical College,Tirupathi, 2000
Medical School: MBBS, Kurnool Medical college, 1995