Bright red blood in stool after painless bowel movement.

After a bowel movement I've noticed a lot of bright red blood in my stool, enough to make the water red. Also the toilet papers I use are bloody as well. However I haven't noticed anything painful or out of the ordinary. My stool was quite hard though I might add. Please advise.

Category: Gastroenterologist, Medical

Expert:  Dr. Ratnakar Kini replied 4 Days.

Bright red blood mostly indicates blood coming from lower GIT such as rectum or the anal canal.
It can happen due to hard stools, from fresh tears while the hard stool comes out.
Was this a one time thing? Or has it been happening frequently?
Feel free to discuss further.

It has been present for the past week. Somedays there is a lot of blood whereas other days only a little is present. Should I get it checked up or is this something that will heal on itself.

Expert:  Dr. Ratnakar Kini replied 3 Days.

If you have a recent history of constipation, it can be from the rectal tears as I mentioned. On that case, it will heal on it's own.
You need to ensure that your stool is soft over the next few days, as any further injury can cause more bleeding.
Please take adequate fibre in the diet, and if required you can take Syrup Lactulose 2 teaspoons before bed, to ensure soft stools next morning.

Dr. Ratnakar Kini
Fellowship - DM - TN Dr.MGR Medical University
Residency - TN Dr.MGR Medical University 
Medical School - Stanely Medical College, TN Dr.MGR Medical University