Query on Cinnamon and its health benefits.

I currently take a supplement that contains a daily total of 160mg of cinnamon per day (along with pineapple, acai, and wheatgrass). However, it is not listed if this is Cassia or Ceylon cinnamon, so I'm wondering if amount of coumarin should be a concern (as I just learned it is a toxin)?

I'm aware some people take a whole teaspoon of cinnamon per day and that is considered by many relatively safe (and I believe would be over 2,000mg?); I just want to make sure I truly am safe at the 160mg a day I'm taking now over the long term.

Thanks!

Hello and thankyou for approaching DoctorSpring with your query.
I have gone through your case and understand your concern.
There have been a few research studies carried out on cinnamon. But still there is no scientific data about the definite benefits of cinnamon.

I would advise you against taking cinnamon on a daily basis, though the amounts you are taking is possibly safe. Since there is no definite study about the amounts on safety, it is advisable not to take it on a daily basis. Consuming it in food amounts is safe, and little more than that is safe in most people.

Coumarin present is some cinnamon products may cause liver problems. Since there is a lack of evidence on it's safety, it is not advisable to take it as treatment or supplement.

You can consume cinnamon as part of your daily diet but do not take additional supplements. Instead continue exercising and maintain a healthy balanced diet.
I hope this has helped. Feel free to follow up.
Thankyou