Reason for high EPITHELIAL CELLS, LEUCOCYTES IN URINE.

Doc, I take regular check ups to understand my physical condition. Off late I have observed the following... In my urine analysis ephythelical cells and leucocytes are on the higher side. They have remained high over the last 3 months. The CEA tested today is 3.63. The WBC is 11900. Pl advice in the future course. Other test results are normal.

Thank you for your query at DoctorSpring.com.

I understand your concern and will do my best to help you. I would require a detailed history in order to provide my best opinion.

1. May I know for what reason you have got CEA levels tested?
  2. Please mention your age and gender.
  3. Do you smoke or drink? If yes, how much?
  4. What are your present symptoms?
  5. Do you have any burning, urgency while urinating? Any increased frequency of urination?
  6. Any fever, nausea, abdominal pain?
  7. Do have any medical illnesses like high blood pressure, Diabetes etc?

Please reply to each of the above in the follow-up. Also, it would be very helpful if you could upload all your reports.

Awaiting your response,

Dear Doctor,
I have not been detected of BP this far. On diabetics front there have instances where my PP scales upto 170 however remained sub 140 levels over the last 8 months. I monitor my diabetics and BP on a monthly basis.

regarding your specific queries, pl find below my revert.
May I know for what reason you have got CEA levels tested? I undertook a MHC with lister lab. I take this test once in 6 months. This is the 1st time that CEA Was tested. The reason being I resumed smoking after 4 years. Am smoking about a pack for 2 months now.
Please mention your age and gender. Am a male aged 38 yrs
Do you smoke or drink? If yes, how much? A pack a day for about 2 months now. Occasional drinker may be once a week or so.
What are your present symptoms? Honestly, I don't have any physical disturbances. I exercise regularly almost on a daily basis.
Do you have any burning, urgency while urinating? Any increased frequency of urination? Nothing of this nature so far. It was during my previous MHC that enhanced epithelical and leucocytes was observed in my urine. I have never had any physical disturbances. My leucocytes are now 1-2 while ephythelical are 2-4. WBC are at 11900 while CEA is at 3.63.
Any fever, nausea, abdominal pain? No.
Do have any medical illnesses like high blood pressure, Diabetes etc? No BP but higher diabetic levels about 8 months before. Was never under any medication as these were sub 180 levels and consultant adviced food regulation is adequate. This is however totally under control presently.

If you could share your email I'd, I can forward the reports for your perusal.

Thank you for the detailed response. As you have shared the exact values, I don't really require to see the reports.

Since you do not have any symptoms, your value of WBC can be taken as normal. WBCs are a dynamic population of cells which play a key role in our body's defense. Their levels can rise and fall due to the immune challenges our bodies face all the time. Even though it might be quite different from what you had 6 months ago, your value of 11,900 is still under the normal limit of 12,000. So nothing to worry about here.

1-2 Leukocytes and 2-4 Epithelial cells in urine are perfectly normal and nothing to worry about either.

As for your CEA value, the typical upper limit of normal for CEA in non-smokers is 3.8 micrograms per liter (mcg/L), and in case of smokers the upper limit of normal is 5.5 mcg/L. So your value is normal under both ranges.
However, it is not a very good idea to resume smoking when you had abstained for 4 years. You are capable of abstaining and you should strive to keep yourself off smoking. You should think over what has caused you to do this and if it is stress etc, you can seek help to overcome all of that in various other ways. They will be more effective and safe.

If you wish to share your reports, you can upload them in the follow-up or email them to info@DoctorSpring.com mentioning your consult ID. 213880 in the subject line.
I hope this was helpful. Feel free to discuss further.