Risks involved in taking increased PROTEIN DIET.

I am a 26 years old Male,I have started body building around 8 months back,i lost considerable amount of weight and am now looking to put on some muscle.My gym instructor recommend me Whey Protein.I am planning to take Optimum Nutrition 1005 Whey.I wanted to know if taking protein in form of shakes has any side effects.Since i primarily eat only Eggs and Chicken ,i cannot get extra protein from sources like Tuna,Beef etc.

I would like to know from a specialist the risks involved if any,I do know a lot of people taking it without any side effects,but my primary concern is about dosage and correct brand to look for

Thank you for your query at DoctorSpring.com.

I generally do not recommend supplements such as protein shakes, unless in case of a deficiency or specific illnesses. For normal individuals, a healthy protein-rich diet is always better than supplements. Not just meat but beans, peas, soy, unsalted nuts and seeds, and milk are also good sources of protein. Also, a high calorie diet with balanced amounts of not only proteins but carbohydrates and fats when combined with regular training will also increase muscle mass and cause weight gain.

Whey protein is generally safe, without side effects when used appropriately. High doses can cause some side effects such as increased bowel movements, nausea, thirst, bloating, cramps, reduced appetite, tiredness (fatigue), and headache. Excessively high doses of protein can be injurious to the kidneys.

Optimum dosage for you would be 1.2-1.5 grams/kg of whey protein for 6-10 weeks. For eg., if your weight is 70 kg, you can take about 84 - 105 grams of whey protein per day. You can use any standard brand, as I do not have any specific recommendations.

I hope this was helpful. Feel free to ask queries.

I am not planning to have any excessive dosage ,i am planning two scoops per dy ,which is around 50 Gms of protein.I plan to have it just after workout.
Since i am at work and also travel during the day ,it becomes very diffcult for me to consume protein rich food as it is not readily available.So i stick to salads or basic indian meal consisting of Roti,Veggie,Daal and egg whites.
FYI i am planning to consume it for a year or so and then slowly migrate to real protein rich food.Is it a good idea.
Thanks,
Abhishek

Hello Mr. Abhishek.
Taking it for a year is not a very good idea. I had mentioned earlier that not just protein-rich diet but a high calorie diet, which could be an extra meal of your regular diet, can also work. Any extra calories you consume, not necessarily from proteins, provided they are healthy wholesome food, will result in good weight gain. If you work out while on such a diet, this weight gain will be in the form of muscle mass.
I would not recommend taking protein supplements for a year because long term excess protein intake will be burdensome on the body's metabolism. Recommended daily intake of protein, for a healthy male is about 50 grams per day. Regular Indian diet with Roti, Daal, vegetables and egg whites alone will meet this requirement. If you are taking about 50 gram from the supplement, this is twice the normally required amount.
On a long term, this can lead to excess uric acid, creatinine etc in the body, which is unhealthy.
I would suggest that you take the supplements for a maximum of 3 months, meanwhile keep increasing your caloric intake with healthy additions. After 3 months, you can add an extra healthy meal. This should work for you.