Severe knee pain

Dear Doctor, I have a knee problem. I am 56 years old but fairly fit. After running 5 kms my knee starts to get sore. I have run 20 before without a problem but for the last 3 or 4 runs this is what happens. A pain starts in the outer part of my left knee. Running down hill is fine but hill is very painful but I keep going because I want to get home. The pain is not too bad at first but builds up and I have to use my mind and also limp a bit to keep going. If you look down at your knee, left knee, you see the knee cap. Move to the left down the side of the knee. Use your hand. Your hand will go over the outside lump of your knee. Now in that depression on the upper side of that lump before the tendon is where the pain comes from. Where the fingertips are in contact with the bone of the knee. Hope I have guided you correctly and that you are able to help. Thank you

Hello, Knee pain is the result of an injury of knee or injury suddenly. It is vulnerable to damage because it takes the body weight and also the extra force when you run and also to overweight as well. It may be a simple strain because of stretching. If this is not relieved by rest and pain killers, the next alternative would be injury to meniseus damage as a result of sudden twisting or it could be Osteoarthritis where there is damage to the articular cartilage or might have developed from a popliteal cyst or baker's cyst or it may be due to torn ligament of tendon of anterior leviate ligament because of sudden change in dissection or twisting movement or if it is hot or red. With the above causes in mind, you better see your GP who can examine you physically in detail and also order for blood tests, X-rays and MRI Scan and advise the treatment accordingly including painkillers. Physiotherapy and sometimes-even artheroscopy can be useful. Hope this helps. Thank you.