Helped Over 500,000 patients with 98%+ satisfaction.

Connect & Get Personalized 1-to-1 Answers from Expert Doctors

DoctorSpring > Question Home

Severe pain in chest and back after an accident

Resolved Question:

I am a teenager, and two months ago, I was involved in a minor traffic accident where a motorcycle collided into mine from behind. It was nothing serious since we all did not suffer any external injuries. However, a few weeks ago, I happen to experience chest pain that are sudden and sharp and occur occasionally that is located at my top left chest (i.e. at the top of my heart). In addition, it is accompanied aching on my back situated where my heart is located. Recently, I also experience sudden and sharp stabbing pain at my middle left abdominal area (below my heart) and mild random headaches and giddiness. I went to a doctor and did an ECG, which turns out to be normal; he then prescribed me some medication. However, my symptoms did not go away and lasted for at least 2 weeks. I did went back to my doctor and told him about it but he insist that is nothing serious and it is because of my accident that is causing these symptoms and continued to give me the same medication for me to consume. I would like to seek advice on this matter as to what I should do because I believe that there may be some things my doctor might have missed out intentionally because of my age etc.

Category: Community

Ask Your Own Question

Category: Family Physician-GP
 20 Doctors Online

Hello, That doesn't sound good. I presume that the fall you sustained following the accident you also might have sustained a musculoskeletal injury in your upper back and chest. This pain aggravates on slight movements. This pain can range from dull aching to severe, associated with fatigue and difficulty in performing daily activities. However it is prudent that we exclude other causes of the pain like fracture of the ribs. The main reason behind this is it will reassure you as well as reduces your anxiety.

So I would suggest you a set of investigations like a chest x ray to rule out any possible fractures and a c spine x ray. You can also relieve the pain by

a) Taking painkillers like ibuprofen twice a day for three days

b) Adequate Bed rest and avoid lifting any heavy objects.

And if the pain is not relieved, then you can consult your physician with the reports for appropriate treatment. Hope you feel better. Thank you.

Dr. John Monheit
Category: Family Physician-GP
Residecny: North Colorado Family Medicine
Medical School: The Chicago Medical Center
Dr. John Monheit and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Users who read this, also read:

Make informed and better medical decisions.

Join the 500,000 people who found a smarter, quicker way to get Answers, Recommendations & Expert Opinions.

Expert Doctors at fingertips

Recommendation on next step. Second-opinion.Multi-specialty.

Save Time

Average time for answers: 6 hours.

Save Money

$35 for typical specialist consult vs. $120 for a local appointment.

Free Follow-ups

Clarify, ask further questions for free in private conversation.

100% Satisfaction

Money back guarantee for the 1st reply. MEDNET Quality Board.

Start My Consultation



Doctor Spring is a novel online Doctor consultation platform where you can get your medical questions answered by leading Doctors. Just Submit your question and rest assured that you will consult a Doctor easily. Once you submit the question, the Doctor from the concerned specialty will reply within hours. You can always ask more questions or add details with follow-up question options and make it an online doctor chat. You may use this service to consult a specialty or for getting medical second opinion. All paid services come with a MEDNET quality assurance and 100% money back guarantee.

DoctorSpring in news