Should I cut my nerves to get rid of pain?

Dear doctor,

I heard that nerves can be cut to stop sensing pains. Can you explain the procedure to do this? Are there any side effects for this procedure? Will this affect my mobility? Can I do muscular activities as grabbing, sensing pleasure etc. after doing this?

Expert:  Dr. John Fuller replied 4 Days.

Thanks for your question. There is a surgical method of removing nerves. It is called neurectomy. In this procedure, a nerve or a portion of a nerve is surgically removed so that it will not transfer pain sensation to brain anymore. This results in no pain. This is not a normal method of pain relief. This is done in rare cases where all other steps to treat chronic pains fail. There are certain disadvantages to this procedure. Some of them are possibility of development of neuroma. This is a tumour of nerve which itself is quite painful. Loss of sensations such as touch and temperature are other possible side effects. This will result in numbness in the areas covered by the nerve. Fortunately, neurectomy for managing pain will not cause any hindrance to muscular movements. 

Dr. John Fuller
MD - New York Institute of Technology, New York College of Osteopathic Medicine
Internship, Family Medicine - Lutheran Medical Center
Residency, Family Medicine - The Mount Sinai Hospital