Side effects overdosing HEPATITS-B VACCINE.

I am not sure whether kiddo has been given the third dose of Hepatitis B injection at 4 months( I had gone to native and the doctor has not given me the injection slip). Can I give the same now? She is 6 months old. Is there any side effects for the overdose of Hepatits B injection? Please reply to me ASAP. I am panicking. less than br greater than less than br greater than Secondly yesterday my paed said that the kiddo was given BE Td in her third dose of DTPa which according to him is less concentrated dose. He has suggested us to give one more dose of DTPa in the 6th month. Will it be a overdose? Does it have any side effects?

Category: Pediatrician

Expert:  Dr. Saptharishi L G replied 4 Days.

Dear parent,
I can understand your concerns. But, there is no need to panic as there are multiple effective schedules for most vaccines. Meaning thereby, that flexibility in their schedules is unlikely to be of any significant consequence.
1. Regarding HepB vaccine
You can and should give the third dose of HepB vaccine at 6 months age. In fact, the recommended schedule for infants worldwide is 0, 1 & 6 months. The alternate schedules include 0,1 & 3 months or 6, 10 & 14 weeks. So, without worrying about overdose or side effects, you can go ahead and give her the shot.
2. Regarding dT instead of DTaP
Yes, the doctor's observation is correct. The dT or dTaP is for children > 5 years. Basically the small letter 'd' represents a smaller dose of diphtheria toxin for older children.
If your child has inadvertently received the lower dose vaccine, you could consider getting anti-diphtheria titres of your child and decide regarding further course of action.
Hoping that my advice helped clarify your queries.
Dr. Saptharishi L G

Dr. Saptharishi L G
Senior Residency: DM,  Pediatric Critical Care, PGIMER

Residency: MD, Pediatrics, Postgraduate Medical Education & Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh, 2013

Internship: JIPMER, 2009

Medical School: MBBS, Jawaharlal Institute of Post-graduate Medical Education & Research (JIPMER), Puducherry, 2008