Starting alcohol after infection with Hepaptitis A

i had hepititas A on 9th of may 2013 and i my sgpt were normal around 29 th of may 2013. I have started drinking moderate level of acohol since 3 months of hepittias A is that ok?

Category: Gastroenterologist, Medical

Expert:  Dr. Ratnakar Kini replied 4 Days.

Thanks for posting your query at DoctorSpring.com. I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you.

Complete recovery from Hepatitis A usually takes 4-8 weeks.
Liver damage is assessed with the SGPT levels. Since your SGPT level has become normal, it means your liver has recovered from the effects of hepatitis A infection.

But you have not mentioned about your SGOT level and whether you have any preexisting chronic liver disease and whether ultrasound scan of the abdomen has been done.

If the SGOT level is high and if the ultrasound scan of the abdomen shows fatty liver or features of chronic liver disease, then alcohol intake is not advised (even if the raised SGPT level due to hepatitis A infection has become normal). Otherwise drinking in moderate amounts may not be harmful.

I hope that answers your question.
Please feel free to discuss further.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Dr. Ratnakar Kini
Fellowship - DM - TN Dr.MGR Medical UniversityResidency - TN Dr.MGR Medical University Medical School - Stanely Medical College, TN Dr.MGR Medical University