Stomach ache for 5 months

I am experiencing stomach ache....left side lower part for past 5 months. I take alcohol about 5 drinks a day. I notice if I stop drinking the uncomfortable feeling residues the next day.

Thank you for using Ask a doctor service from Doctor spring.

There are various reasons for which you could be experiencing left lower abdominal pain. The common conditions associated are constipation, bowel obstruction, inflammatory bowel disease, diverticulitis or even a kidney stone. So your condition definitely needs to be further evaluated. How have your bowel habits been? Are you experiencing constipation lately? If your symptoms are relieved when you don't take alcohol, then avoid taking alcohol until the problem is diagnosed and treated. Because some conditions will worsen with alcohol intake for eg, Gastritis. At this stage I would recommend you to reduce or if possible stop the alcohol intake for some time.

Next, I would suggest you to take an appointment with a GP , to get you examined thoroughly. Most of the time a physical examination of the abdomen will itself be enough to clench the diagnosis for your problem. They might suggest you for X-ray abdomen/ USG abdomen and run few blood tests to evaluate you better.

If possible please try to elaborate on type of pain, severity of pain, radiation of pain ( if present) , is there distension of abdomen, other associated factors if present. Treatment for your problem will depend on the diagnosis of the origin of the pain.