Stress affecting digestion

Hello, Id like to know how much stress can affect my digestion, for the past two months ive suffered from digestion issues like frequent gas, burning, constipation one day then the next day semi-diarreah, and i go to the bathroom to defecate like 3 times a day when before it was just one. also ive lost my apetite and ive lost like 5-6 kilos, i feel weak and always tired. This all coincides with the fact that 02 months ago i started developing a new business Project and ive been under a lot of stress. thanks

I was waiting our Medical Gastroenterologist's opinion and hence the delay in reply.

Stress can affect the digestive process a lot. When compared to other body functions the digestive process is one of the most ill affected function of the body from stress.

BUT, you should not label that the symptoms are just because of stress without evaluation. I would like to know some additional information from so that I can provide a more learned opinion.

1. Is there any abdominal pain / bleeding while passing stools / incomplete felling of bowel evacuation / nausea / vomiting ?
2. Have you lost the 5-6 kilos in last 2 months alone ?
3. Do you skip meals ? If so how often ? (what is the pattern)
4. I understand your are under a lot of stress. Along with that do you worry ? (like being concerned all the time, even after work)
5. Are you Thyroxine medication ? When was the the latests Thryoid Function done ? Was it normal ?

You can reply as a followup

Hello, thanks for the answer, here are my answers

1. Theres abdominal pain but its not too severe just a permanent discomfort and it increases when i get gas, and somedays a week i get burning up and down my stomach and i feel like a knot like when u take antibiotics and they are too hard on you. however ive been taking ranitidina and omeprazol to calm those. And YES i always have incomplete felling of bowel evacuation. if i have to go out to work i only go to the bathroom once, but if i stay home like today i end up going like 3-4 times. I had bleeding while passing stool a few weeks ago it was just one day i told my parents because they are doctors, and they took me to the hospital and i got examinated and they said it was an anal fisure, they gave me a cream for that and it got better. theres no nausea or vomiting.

2. I cant know that, i hadnt weight myself in over a year so I cant really know, however people do tell me that i look much skinnier and keep asking me for diet tips. My parents are doctrs and when i told them this they said that for my height and sex it was still a normal weight so i shouldnt worry, i weight 52 kilos

3. I sometimes skip breakfast,but never lunch, however lately since im not hungry lunch has been become very painful cus i eat cus i HAVE to and not because im hungry

4. Yes im being concerned all the time even after work, i work at a bank and thats monday-friday from 9-7pm (with costumers all day its a very stressful job) and then i come home and i work on my business idea also i had to ask for a loan behind my parents cus they dont support me in that.

5. Yes i have eutirox everyday, my last thyroids tests must have been like 6 months ago, and they were normal.

The symptoms indeed seem to related to stress. You should take measures to say relaxed and find time to enjoy the better things in life. Be in your friends and family circle. Whatever works for beating the stress go for it.

Moderate aerobic exercise for 40 minutes a day will be good idea.

You might be having a stress ulcer. You can take OTC Prilosec once daily for 14 days early morning (without food) for 14 days in consult with your Doctor / parents.
Have a regular meal timings. The appetite will automatically pick in with the Prilosec and reduced stress.

Only if the symptoms persist for more than 1 more month you should considering consulting a Medical Gastroenterologist for further evaluation.

Feel free to ask followups