Sty and cyst in eyelid

I have what I thought was a sty in my upper eyelid off center towards my nose. After pulling my eyelid up to inspect it under the light, I realized the cyst like formation is in my actual eyelid. I've tried to pop it, but can't get my finger around it without it sliding out of my grip. What would you recommend?

Category: Ophthalmologist

Expert:  Dr. Manish Malhotra replied 4 Days.

Thank you for your consult at DoctorSpring.

The most likely cause for the cyst like formation is a stye / Hordeolum itself or a Chalazion. Chalazion, is a chronic inflammatory lesion that develops when a Zeis or meibomian tear gland of the eyelid becomes obstructed. An epidermal inclusion cyst is one rare possibilty.

If a Ophthalmologist visit is doable, I recommoed that. If not, you can do a warm compresses, placed off and on for about 15 minutes at a time approximately four times per day. Take care not to inure the eye. Hordeolum and Chalazion should respond to this. If there is no good response to this you should visit a Ophthalmologist

Please feel free to ask followup queries.

Dr. Manish Malhotra
Fellowship: L. V. Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad
Fellow Pediatric Ophthalmology & Squint (L.V. Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad)
Medical School, Residency: MBBS, DOMS, FLVPEI, Nagpur university, 1995