Swollen painful lymph node behind ear

I have a lymph node behind my ear that is swollen maybe half an inch in size, and there is mild pain when touched and if I turn my head to the right. I went to an urgent care and the doctor told me I have some infection in my system and prescribed me cephalexin anti-biotic. The swollen lymph node is also located right behind the earlobe. I have no fever and feel fine. But what concerns me is whenever I get sick I never had a lymph node behind my ear swell up so I am extremely worried this might be some other serious condition.

Please get back to me I would appreciate it. I am a 24 year old man in good health overall. I do not smoke or drink. Also I am taking vitamin c 1500mg, pycnogenol 100mg, and glutathione 500mg daily, are these vitamins fine to take daily or maybe this caused it?

Category: ENT Specialist

Expert:  Dr. Sunil Jalan replied 4 Days.

Thank you for your consult at DoctorSpring.com. I can understand your problem, and will try to help you the best possible.

Let me explain the disease first ->

You have (cervical lymphadenitis)a painful enlarged lymph node (around 1 to 1.5cm) on right side of neck, just behind right ear lobule. Painful nodes are always caused by infection. So painful and tender nodes are safe. So you should get relief with prescribed antibiotic in one week time.

You can add analgesic and anti-inflammatory medication with it including Tab. Paracetamol 1gm three times daily after food.(or any other analgesic you are using regularly) for 5 days.

So you need not to worry about this lymphnode. We need detailed evaluation only if lymph node is painless, or if it is increasing in size.

Summary of treatment:
• To Continue same treatment.
• Add analgesic medication

Need not to worry about it. Hope this helps. Feel free to ask if you have any further queries.

Dr. Sunil Jalan
MBBS, DLO,MS(ENT),DNB,DAA

Hi Dr. Jalan,

Thank you for responding to me regarding the matter, I went to visit an ENT to for a physical examination and he told me not to worry either he prescribed me Augmentin (Amoxicillin Clavulanate)for 10 days and I am on the 7th day and my lymph node behind my ear has shrinked in size the lymph node is still there not completely flat like the other side of my ear but it has become smaller. . so since it has become smaller and the pain has gone away is this a good sign?

Before last week when I contacted you the lymph node was larger and there was pain when I moved my head and painful to touch, now there is no pain and it is smaller. . should I be ok?

Before:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=29h1g0&s=5#.Up5YOeLWd7k

After Augmentin 7 days:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2q3bt43&s=5#.Up5YfeLWd7k

I also have a picture if needed here is the link if you can access it.

Thank you doctor and best regards,

Sajid

Expert:  Dr. Sunil Jalan replied 3 Days.

Your lymph node has decreased in size significantly (can be appreciated by pictures), so you need not to worry about this.no further treatment needed. now it may remain same for some time (up to few months)

You need review only if lymph node is increasing in size (which is very unlikely)

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask if you have any further queries.

Dr. Sunil Jalan

Dr. Sunil Jalan
DAA (Diploma in asthma and allergy) : Christian Medical College, Vellore, 2012
D.N.B (ENT), 2011
Residency - M.S. (Master post graduate degree in otorhinolaryngology),  Christian Medical College, Vellore, 2009
D.L.O. (Diploma in otorhinolaryngology) - Christian Medical College, Vellore, 2007
Medical School - M.B.B.S, S.P. Medical college, Bikaner, 2004