Toe is achy, numb with large knot after injury.

I dropped a piece of plywood on my foot a couple of weeks ago and went to the ER to make sure it wasn’t broken. The corner of the wood went between my pinky toe and the next one. A large knot has been there since then. I kept my foot elevated and iced, but the bruise spread and covered the whole top of my foot. The past few days I’ve been walking on it more, and the swelling isn’t bad at all but I have a lot of numbness and tingling pain in my foot. My little toe is more achy and numb than the others. Will it eventually resolve? I uploaded 2 photos to show how it looked the day after the injury and today.

Category: General Surgeon

Expert:  Dr. Hari Charan Perigela replied 4 Days.

Thanks for your query at DoctorSpring.com
I saw the images.
You have developed Cellulitis of the foot.
As the wood is a foreign body, it might have triggered Infection of the foot.With associated inflammation, It has turned red and spreading upwards subcutaneously beneath the skin.
I prescribe Antibiotic like Clindamycin capsule 600mg thrice daily along with anti-inflammatory tablet to my patients with similar complaints. Limb should be kept elevated.
Please do not strain the affected limb.
Apart from medicines, elevation of the limb will be very helpful.
Nothing to worry.
It will get resolved.
Please exclude Diabetes with Glucose tolerance test.
Hope I answered your query. If you have any questions, I will clarify further.
Wish you good health.

The injury never broke the skin. There is only a bruise. Is it still cellulitis? 15 months ago I had surgery on my Achilles tendon on this foot and it has healed completely. I am not diabetic, do not smoke or drink and have hypertension controlled by medication.

Expert:  Dr. Hari Charan Perigela replied 3 Days.

Thanks for follow up
Small trivial injuries can lead to Cellulitis.
Yes ,the image is typical of Cellulitis.
If you have any suspicion, get an Ultrasound of the affected lower limb.
As you are not diabetic, healing will be faster.
Please consult your doctor and use medicines.
Nothing to worry.
It will come down.

Dr. Hari Charan Perigela
Fellowship: DNB, General Surgery, National Board of Examinations, New Delhi, 2001
Residency: MS, General Surgery, Sri Venkateswara Medical College,Tirupathi, 2000
Medical School: MBBS, Kurnool Medical college, 1995