ULCERATIVE COLITIS on REMICADE INFUSIONS. INFECTIOUS DISEASE?

I have ulcerative colitis, one flare up 6 months ago, diagnosed in march take remicade infusions, doing very well. Last week went for routine bloods and colonoscopy. Today my doctors office called saying i have been referred to infectious diseases. Cannot reach my regular doctor. I would like to know why i would be referred to infectious diseases. Very worried

Category: Gastroenterologist, Medical

Expert:  Dr. Ratnakar Kini replied 4 Days.

I am Dr.R.K and I am pleased to assist you.
I would like to have some more information before I can give my opinion.
1. What symptoms you have now?
2. What was the colonoscopy report?
3. What other tests were done and what are the results?
Kindly get back to me with these information and I would give my opinion.

Dr.R.K.

i am awaiting the results of the last colonoscopy. The results are not pertinent to my question, my question is why would they be referring me from gasteroenterology to infectious diseases. What might the reasons be

Expert:  Dr. Ratnakar Kini replied 3 Days.

The information provided is inadequate.
Without having the complete clinical details and the lab reports and colonoscopy report and without physical examination it is difficult to say why you have been referred to an Infectious Diseases Specialist.
Some of the reasons why an individual with ulcerative colitis with flare up and on remicaide gets referred to an ID specialist are -
1. C diff infection can occur in patients with UC
2. Remicade suppresses immunity and predisposes to serious bacterial infections like tuberculosis and fungal infections like histoplasmosis.
Your doctor would have referred you to the ID specialist to see whether you have developed any such infections.
I hope that answers your question.
Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr.R.K.

Dr. Ratnakar Kini
Fellowship - DM - TN Dr.MGR Medical UniversityResidency - TN Dr.MGR Medical University Medical School - Stanely Medical College, TN Dr.MGR Medical University