Helped Over 500,000 patients with 98%+ satisfaction.

Connect & Get Personalized 1-to-1 Answers from Expert Doctors

DoctorSpring > Question Home

Urge to urinate but unable to

Resolved Question:

I am a 56 year old female. I have the urge to urinate terribly and can't. I have passed a few drops and there is a reddish tint. I am diabetic. I have taken a pain pill to help right now. What do I do?

Category: Internal Medicine Specialist

Ask Your Own Question

Category: HIV- AIDS Specialist
 22 Doctors Online


Thank you for choosing DoctorSpring.

The symptoms are mostly suggestive of Urinary Tract infection (UTI). Although burning micturition and mild pain is the commonest symptoms of UTI , it can also present with hesitancy and reddish tint. UTI is still most common cause for the symptoms patten. Being a diabetic puts you in a high risk for this. Second possibility is a ureteric stone (kidney stone).

You will need a urine examination and an Xray of the lower abdomen to confirm the diagnosis.
(A urine routine, urine culture and Xray abdomen ). If urine shows bacteria then UTI is more likely. If there is presence of stones in Xray or if there is blood in urine stones are more likely.

You will need to get in touch with your Doctor for these tests. If you do not have acess to medical help you can observe for a day or two. Sometimes, if it is a stone it could be passed off via urine. I will keep this consult open so that you can get back to me any time with the tests results / or if you have any query.

Hope this helps
Thank you

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy
Category: HIV- AIDS Specialist
MBBS from Sri Ramachandra University in December 2011
M.Med (Family Medicine) - TNMGR University, Chennai
MBA-MPH in Public Health in March 2016, SRM University
Finished AFIH in March 2016, SRM University
MRCP ( UK ), Internal Medicine, Royal College of Physicians, June 2016
Fellowship in Diabetology from Martin Luther University in January 2017

Currently Resident Physician, in MD Radiodiagnosis - Kamakshi Memorial Hospital, Chennai
Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Users who read this, also read:

Make informed and better medical decisions.

Join the 500,000 people who found a smarter, quicker way to get Answers, Recommendations & Expert Opinions.

Expert Doctors at fingertips

Recommendation on next step. Second-opinion.Multi-specialty.

Save Time

Average time for answers: 6 hours.

Save Money

$35 for typical specialist consult vs. $120 for a local appointment.

Free Follow-ups

Clarify, ask further questions for free in private conversation.

100% Satisfaction

Money back guarantee for the 1st reply. MEDNET Quality Board.

Start My Consultation



Doctor Spring is a novel online Doctor consultation platform where you can get your medical questions answered by leading Doctors. Just Submit your question and rest assured that you will consult a Doctor easily. Once you submit the question, the Doctor from the concerned specialty will reply within hours. You can always ask more questions or add details with follow-up question options and make it an online doctor chat. You may use this service to consult a specialty or for getting medical second opinion. All paid services come with a MEDNET quality assurance and 100% money back guarantee.

DoctorSpring in news