vaginal discharge during pregnancy

I am 11 weeks pregnant. I was taking progesterone up until 9 weeks 5 days. At that point I had a scan and the embryo was fine. Since then though my vagina has become dry and I have very little discharge. I am really worried that this is a sign that something is wrong because everything that I have read on the internet says that vaginal discharge should be increasing at this stage. I have very few symptoms of pregnancy except sore breasts and some tiredness.

Expert:  Dr. John Fuller replied 4 Days.

Thank you for asking the query.

The sings of pregnancy can vary a lot in different individuals. Just think about the occurrence of nausea and vomiting in the first trimester. Someone women will be nauseated and vomiting through their first few months, while some will never have a hint of nausea or vomiting.

Just like that, this particular sign is also variable. As a matter of fact vaginal discharge is pretty common and it does occur in most of the pregnant mothers especially in the early and later pregnancy. By 11 weeks the vaginal discharge could normalise and there could be little or no discharge in some women.

In short, the absence of vaginal discharge is not exactly normal, but there is nothing to be worried at all. You need not have all the so called external signs of pregnancy.  Follow your Doctor’s recommendations. Get adequate rest in the initial months. Eat a nutritious diet. And do not forget Folic Acid supplement.

Hope this helps. Thank you.

Dr. John Fuller
MD - New York Institute of Technology, New York College of Osteopathic Medicine
Internship, Family Medicine - Lutheran Medical Center
Residency, Family Medicine - The Mount Sinai Hospital