Helped Over 500,000 patients with 98%+ satisfaction.

Connect & Get Personalized 1-to-1 Answers from Expert Doctors

DoctorSpring > Question Home

Why am I having burning pain and numbness in legs while resting?

Resolved Question:

Hai Doctor,

From the last 18 months, I have been suffering from some sort of burning, tingling pain on my lower legs, particularly while resting. Also, my right ankle and foot also tends to go numb while resting. In this course of time, intensity of pain increased considerably. Also, though not continuously, but continually, I experience fatigue and related pain in foot at times. Is this a symptom of some other disease? Please help me to recover from this chronic pain. Thank you.

Category: Sexologist

Ask Your Own Question

Category: Family Physician-GP
 19 Doctors Online

Thank you for using Ask a Doctor Services from Doctor Spring.

I understand your problem. I will help you to my best to recover from this chronic pain .

The symptoms you are suffering from could possibly be of sciatica. Sciatica is a common type of pain affecting the sciatic nerve, a large nerve extending from the lower back down the back of each leg. Common symptoms of sciatica are Pain in the rear or leg that is worse when sitting, burning or tingling down the leg, Weakness, numbness, or difficulty moving the leg or foot. Sciatica is not a diagnosis but a description of symptoms. Hence common conditions which causes sciatica are

  1. Herniated disc
  2. Degenerative lumbar disc disease/ spondylosis
  3. Spinal stenosis.

Other conditions which could mimic your symptoms include

  1. Peripheral neuropathy
  2. Restless leg syndrome
  3. Multiple sclerosis
  4. Tarsel tunnel syndrome.

Confirmatory definitive diagnosis can be made only after certain tests like x-ray spine/ CT of spine and a complete physical examination of you back and lower extremity.

Before the symptoms worsen I would strongly recommend you to consult a GP, who will do a thorough physical examination of back and lower extremity. He might perform series of physical tests such as straight leg raining test to identify the spinal cause for the leg pain.

He will also ask you for x-ray of spine, CT/MRI of lumbar spine. A definitive diagnosis can be made only after a thorough clinical examination and few radiological investigations. If necessary your GP might refer you to orthopaedic surgeon or spine surgeon for treatment.

You have mentioned that you have these symptoms for more than 18 months . I would like to know whether you have tried any medications or any other treatment to cure the pain. If you have taken any medication please let me know about it, because treatment of this condition depends on that. If you had tried the conservative methods of treatment to relieve pain like giving adequate rest, use of pain relievers like NSAIDs, physical therapy, muscle relaxation exercises and epidural steroid injection. For persistent sciatica (known as chronic), you may be advised to try a structured exercise programme under the supervision of a physiotherapist, Surgical procedures can sometimes be required for persisting sciatica. Sometimes pain management specialists help with chronic sciatica conditions.

I would advise at this stage for you to make an appointment with orthopaedic surgeon or GP as early possible. Your doctor might advise you to take certain painkillers which when used on long term do not pose serious side effects like paracetamol, however most doctors do not prefer using painkillers on long term. Other modality of treatment includes epidural steroid injection, physiotherapy. Failing of all these surgery could be advised.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to ask if you need further help.

Thank you.

Dr. John Monheit
Category: Family Physician-GP
Residecny: North Colorado Family Medicine
Medical School: The Chicago Medical Center
Dr. John Monheit and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Users who read this, also read:

Make informed and better medical decisions.

Join the 500,000 people who found a smarter, quicker way to get Answers, Recommendations & Expert Opinions.

Expert Doctors at fingertips

Recommendation on next step. Second-opinion.Multi-specialty.

Save Time

Average time for answers: 6 hours.

Save Money

$35 for typical specialist consult vs. $120 for a local appointment.

Free Follow-ups

Clarify, ask further questions for free in private conversation.

100% Satisfaction

Money back guarantee for the 1st reply. MEDNET Quality Board.

Start My Consultation



Doctor Spring is a novel online Doctor consultation platform where you can get your medical questions answered by leading Doctors. Just Submit your question and rest assured that you will consult a Doctor easily. Once you submit the question, the Doctor from the concerned specialty will reply within hours. You can always ask more questions or add details with follow-up question options and make it an online doctor chat. You may use this service to consult a specialty or for getting medical second opinion. All paid services come with a MEDNET quality assurance and 100% money back guarantee.

DoctorSpring in news