Will CELEXA work on changing ZOLOFT, LEXIPRO, EFFEXOR?

Throughout the past 16 years old patientI have been on 6 different antidepressants. Paxil (for 12 years old patienthad to be taken off because of weight gain) Zoloft (worked only 2 years) lexipro (worked only 2 years) Effexor worked at 112 mgs.(got symptoms back and dose was upped to 225, because of blood pressure had to go off) then tapered to Prozac (did not work) and now celexa - I am on 10 mgs going to 20 mgs next week. I am truly scared. I am getting CBT finally, but hoping the celexa will work. I read on-line that when a person has been on a lot of antidepressants, changes are they will not work. Is that true? I am hoping that where all the antidepressants worked for a time except Prosac, Celexa will work. I know that if it does work, I will change my life style, exercising. I had knee surgery which I know brought this on. Right now I am truly upset.

Category: Psychiatrist

Expert:  Dr. Srikanth Reddy replied 4 Days.

Thanks for your query at DoctorSpring.com.
I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through.
Statistically and evidence wise, what you say is true. If a person doesn't improve on two different antidepressants given for adequate duration with adequate dosages, the illness is known as a resistant depression. The chances of improving the resistant depression are less but not impossible.
Further let me tell you that recent research has clearly shown that none of the antidepressants is more effective than the other and all are almost the same. Some patients respond well to some while others respond well to the other. So there is a good reason why you should seriously consider taking Celexa.
Further, the best treatment for resistant depression is a modified electroconvulsive therapy which is still very routinely used in many countries. You should discuss this option with your doctor and give it a serious thought.
Do let me know if you have any other doubts,
Kind regards
Dr. Srikanth Reddy MD

Dr. Srikanth Reddy
Doctor of Medicine (MD), Psychiatry Residency Program,2001 – 2012
M.B.B.S,Mahatma Gandhi Institute Of Medical Sciences, Sevagram

Certificate Course in sex Therapy and Counselling, Sexology and Counselling, A
Sexology,Medikon Sexual Sciences, Mumbai

Training in Advanced Neurology at a leading corporate hospital (CARE hospital) in Hyderabad

Child Psychiatry Training in National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro-Sciences, Bangalore

Sex Therapy and Counsellingat MEDIKON Sexual Sciences, Mumbai.