Will inadequate environment promote SEIZURES in a child?

My daughter (age 3) has a history of seizures. She has had 2. The Diagnosis was 349.9 Seizure, Epilepsy (this was done by a general child doctor. She was referred to a Neurologist specialist. To my knowledge she has not been yet. It has come to my attention through research that that extreme temperatures (hot and cold) can trigger seizures. My question is this: "Since my daughter has a history of seizures, would it be hazardous to my daughters health, to remain in an environment that promotes seizures?" (Example: Staying in a house that is not adequately heated and cooled properly)

Jamey

Category: Pediatric Neurologist

Expert:  Dr. Sudhir Kumar replied 4 Days.

Hello. Thank you for posting your query at DoctorSpring.com
I have noted the details.
I agree that extreme temperatures could trigger seizures, especially heat. However, staying in a house without temperature regulation is unlikely to trigger seizures, as we do not expect extremes of temperature there.
Also, more important is to treat any fever she gets. This is because fever, if more then 100 degree F may trigger an episode of seizure in a child.
Further evaluation would require doing a brain scan, preferably an MRI and EEG (electroencephalography).
Since she has had two seizures, it is safer to start anti-epileptic drugs to prevent further seizures.
I hope it helps.
Best wishes,
Dr. Sudhir Kumar MD (Medicine), DM (Neurology)
Senior Consultant Neurologist

Dr. Sudhir Kumar
Senior Residency, Fellowship: DM, Neurology, CMC, Vellore, 2001
Junior Residency: MD, Internal Medicine, CMC, Vellore, 1998
Medical School: MBBS, Christian Medical College, Vellore, 1995