Helped Over 500,000 patients with 98%+ satisfaction.

Connect & Get Personalized 1-to-1 Answers from Expert Doctors

DoctorSpring > Question Home

Young obese male with heart disease in family having spike in pulse and BP

Resolved Question:

Hello I am a 19 yr old male I weigh 266 I have a family history of heart disease I take 25 mg of toprol xl per day. A couple of days ago I was eating shortly after my bp and pulse spiked after that it came down gradually but now I feel really nausious what is wrong with me

Category: Cardiologist

Ask Your Own Question

Category: Cardiologist
 22 Doctors Online


Thank you for your query at I would like some more information to help you best.

Firstly what is your weight 266 kg or lb. Mostly the latter but making sure.

What was your BP and pulse in that episode?

When you feel nauseated have you seen your BP n pulse rate?

Are you diabetic hypertensive or any other comorbidities?

Do you have flushing of face and diarrhoea along with nausea?

Do you have chest pain or shortness of breath while walking?

Any investigation you have undergone or could share results.

Looking forward to your answers to the above. Please feel free to discuss further as well.


Patient replied :

my weight is in pounds im hypertensive and i didnt really have much chest pain when walking however i do have acid reflux so that could also be whats causing it as well. also i was experiencing a difficult time talking when my bp was high as well as the nausea has stopped im still having chest pain though but its mainly only when i move a certain way or stretch. so you think I just need to lose weight after all I am pretty young for all of this haha.


There's no age which is immune to a coronary event. Going by your description of chest pain it appears non cardiac. It doesn't appear on exertion and appears with stretching.

Still to be sure You should probably undergo an ECH followed by echo and tmt to rule out a cardiac cause of the pain as you already have 2 risk factors weight and obesity and hypertension. Normal tests will allay anxiety.

Also you didnt tell me about your BP levels. If it is extremely high you could need medications and further evaluation. You could try anti reflux medications and see if your symptoms reduce. Plus start reducing weight.

Hope this helps, please feel free to discuss further.

Dr. Vivek Mahajan
Category: Cardiologist
Fellowship: DM, Cardiology, PGIMER, 2013
Residency: MD, Internal Medicine, AIIMS, 2007
Internship: King Edward Memorial (KEM) Hospital, 2003 
Medical School: MBBS, Seth G.S. Medical College, 2002
Dr. Vivek Mahajan and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Users who read this, also read:

Make informed and better medical decisions.

Join the 500,000 people who found a smarter, quicker way to get Answers, Recommendations & Expert Opinions.

Expert Doctors at fingertips

Recommendation on next step. Second-opinion.Multi-specialty.

Save Time

Average time for answers: 6 hours.

Save Money

$35 for typical specialist consult vs. $120 for a local appointment.

Free Follow-ups

Clarify, ask further questions for free in private conversation.

100% Satisfaction

Money back guarantee for the 1st reply. MEDNET Quality Board.

Start My Consultation



Doctor Spring is a novel online Doctor consultation platform where you can get your medical questions answered by leading Doctors. Just Submit your question and rest assured that you will consult a Doctor easily. Once you submit the question, the Doctor from the concerned specialty will reply within hours. You can always ask more questions or add details with follow-up question options and make it an online doctor chat. You may use this service to consult a specialty or for getting medical second opinion. All paid services come with a MEDNET quality assurance and 100% money back guarantee.

DoctorSpring in news