A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Blood and urine tests to detect HPV infection

Resolved Question:

Dear doctor, recently, my girlfriend has got symptoms of genital warts. Following it, I had taken a STD check for myself to rule out possibilities of getting affected with it. The check included blood and urine tests. Samples of both blood and urine were taken for that and at the time of testing, I had not symptoms of STDs. Is there a chance that I can get affected with genital warts? Fortunately, the test result returned normal and negative to infections. But by the time, my girlfriend got worse symptoms of genital warts. Is she a carrier of HPV by now? Also, can STD test results go normal if I have got affected with it? Thanks for your time.

Category: Community

Ask Your Own Question

Category: Family Physician-GP
Dr. Cecelia J. Russ is online now

Expert:  Dr. Cecelia J. Russ replied 4 Days.

Thanks for the question. Unfortunately, tests available now for HPV, are capable of finding chances of cervical cancer in females only. No general test procedures are found yet to find the overall HPV status in men or women. Also, there are no specific medical check-ups available to find genital warts present in genitals or mouth or some other parts. But it can be easily recognized visibly by the presence of cauliflower like warts. Moreover, you need not worry about warts as they will go away by its own, in a matter of one or two years. In your girlfriend, genital warts will disappear by their own without causing serious health issues. But it is not recommended to have sex while she have genital warts, as it is mostly spread through skin to skin contact between partners who have sex. If you are sure that you have not been affected with HPV by now, you can take HPV vaccination, which will protect you from getting infected with some of the prominent HPV infections. Also, using condoms while having sex with suspected partners also help. There is chance in your case that you might have affected with HPV infection which causes cervical cancer in women and no visible symptoms in males. If so, you will act as a carrier of HPV transmitting the infection to those females you have sex with. Hope my answer helps. Take care.

Dr. Cecelia J. Russ
Category: Family Physician-GP
- Medical School - New York Institute of Technology, New York College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Duke University Medical Center, Residency in Family Medicine
Dr. Cecelia J. Russ and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Make informed and better medical decisions.

We believe that getting medical questions answered and getting qualified opinions from certified Doctors should be easier.

Specialists from
UK, US, Ind,
Aus & NZ

48000+ consults
in 2015

98.1% Satisfied

100% Satisfaction

How it works

  • Submit question, upload files, if any
  • Consult is assigned to a specialist
  • Doctor replies, Mean response time: 2 hours
  • Intimation by email, ask follow-ups

Recommendations based on

About DoctorSpring.com

Doctor Spring is a novel online Doctor consultation platform where you can get your medical questions answered by leading Doctors. Just Submit your question and rest assured that you will consult a Doctor easily. Once you submit the question, the Doctor from the concerned specialty will reply within hours. You can always ask more questions or add details with follow-up question options and make it an online doctor chat. You may use this service to consult a specialty or for getting medical second opinion. All paid services come with a MEDNET quality assurance and 100% money back guarantee.

DoctorSpring in News


Make informed and better medical decisions.

Close x

Your account has been deleted.

PS: You can unsubscribe from emails from DoctorSpring, by going to
Unsubscribe link provided in them.