Pain in fibroadenoma

I am a 30 year old female. Three years ago I found a small bb sized lump next to my right nipple. I went to the doctor and they did an ultrasound... The results came back as a fibrodeonoma. Just a few days ago I found the same size lump right next to my first lump. My question is... Do fibrodeonomas grow close to each other? Is that why it probably is? Another fibrodeonoma? I am 5'7'' tall... I weigh about 118 lbs... I have three children and I have only had one aunt with Breast Cancer. She was 63 when she was diagnosed. It was in stage 2... She recovered well. Let me know, thanks!.

Expert:  Dr. Steve Merris replied 4 Days.

Thank you for the consult :

Yes, it is indeed possible to have multiple and closely located fibroadenomas in the same breast. Of all the cases of fibroadenoma breast 10-16% cases in fact fact multiple fibroadenomas. You are not in a particularly risk category for Breast cancer. So routine mammographic screening and breast self examination will do. You can also discuss about a FNAC - Fine needle aspiration cytology test with your Doctor. This is simple procedure where the lump is aspirated with a needle and the aspirate examined under microscope. This will give a more definitive diagnosis. 

Hope this helps. Please feel free to ask followup questions.

Dr. Steve Merris
Medical School - New York University
Internship in Internal Medicine - Beth Israel Medical Center
Residency in Internal Medicine - Beth Israel Medical Center
Fellowship in Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine - Columbia University Medical Center