A new question is answered every 9 seconds


Resolved Question:

I have recently developed an allergic reaction to some painkillers and sleeping pills. Four years ago I once had a hive reaction to Ibuprofen, so I stopped using it. But I have been using Remeron 30 mg every night for about 3 years. Only a few weeks ago it started to give me the same reaction I once had with the Ibuprofen. I wake up with swollen eyelids, lips, and nose. I immediately took anti histamine for a few days till symptoms subsided. Yesterday, I was not able to sleep and I knew I could not take Remeron, so I took Panadol Night. I woke up today with the same problem. Eyes and lips swollen. I really want to know if there is something wrong with my immune system, liver, or kidney. I have other medical problems so I already know my body is messed up.
My other problems are: acid reflux, hypothyroidism, acne, ovarian cysts, and benign proxisimal positional vertigo.

Category: Family Physician-GP

Ask Your Own Question

Category: Select Speciality
Dr. Deepu Sebin Sebastian is online now

Expert:  Dr. Deepu Sebin Sebastian replied 4 Days.

Thank you for your query at DoctorSpring.com
I understand your concern.
What you seem to be having is an extremely rare phenomenon called ' Multiple Drug Allergy Syndrome '
Some people are prone to developing multiple allergic reactions to certain group of drugs such as the non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen or Paracetamol. In a recent study they also claim that these people can also show same kind of allergic reactions such as angioedema, hives, rashes, to other groups of drugs like penicillin, antibiotics. The reason for such a reaction to certain drugs are not yet established.
This does not mean there is anything wrong with your liver or kidneys. It just shows your immune system is slightly hyperactive to certain compounds and unless you take an allergen test you won't know to which drugs you are allergic too.
But you have to avoid NSAIDs as much as possible. And in case you do take it take it along with anti histaminic like Tab. Levocetrizine or Claritin.
Regarding Remeron, you can change the drug after talking to your local doctor.
For your reference i am giving you the link of an article having such a study which was done recently :
Feel free to discuss further queries,

Dr. Deepu Sebin Sebastian
Category: Select Speciality
MD, Internal Medicine - Stanley Medical School
Medical School - MBBS - Govt. Medical College, Kottyaam

Diagnostic Prediction - Stanford School of Medicine
Received Specialty training in Critical Care, Cardiology, Neurology, Gastroenterology, Nephrology from Stanley Medical College and in Endocrinology, Rheumatology.

Hematology and Geriatrics from Madras Medical College.
Dr. Deepu Sebin Sebastian and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you

Make informed and better medical decisions.

We believe that getting medical questions answered and getting qualified opinions from certified Doctors should be easier.

Specialists from
UK, US, Ind,
Aus & NZ

48000+ consults
in 2015

98.1% Satisfied

100% Satisfaction

How it works

  • Submit question, upload files, if any
  • Consult is assigned to a specialist
  • Doctor replies, Mean response time: 2 hours
  • Intimation by email, ask follow-ups

Recommendations based on

About DoctorSpring.com

Doctor Spring is a novel online Doctor consultation platform where you can get your medical questions answered by leading Doctors. Just Submit your question and rest assured that you will consult a Doctor easily. Once you submit the question, the Doctor from the concerned specialty will reply within hours. You can always ask more questions or add details with follow-up question options and make it an online doctor chat. You may use this service to consult a specialty or for getting medical second opinion. All paid services come with a MEDNET quality assurance and 100% money back guarantee.

DoctorSpring in News


Make informed and better medical decisions.

Close x

Your account has been deleted.

PS: You can unsubscribe from emails from DoctorSpring, by going to
Unsubscribe link provided in them.