Alternating constipation and diarrhea

I have approx 3 bowel movements a day, after each one I never feel like it is finished, and always wake up at around 3-4am feeling like I need to go and have to go to the toilet for another bowel movement.

It goes from feeling constipated and although I can feel I need to go, I cannot go for a day and then I have to struggle to go, and then the one after that is very bitty, spluttery & sometimes even liquid, and then I go into a cycle of feeling constipated again, and then when I can go, I have to go in sessions and never feel finished and like there is still more in my bowel. Sometimes it even goes as far as being diarrhoea.

I do not experience stomach pains, nor do I feel nauseous and I still have an appetite.

I have noticed it to be like this for about 3-4 weeks now, and I cannot remember the last time I had a normal, completely solid, complete bowel movement where I didn't feel like I still needed to go or whereby it wasn't runny, spluttery or difficult to pass (straining).

Sometimes when I have felt constipated and not gone for a day or two (I know this is not properly constipated, but during that time scale of a day or two I can feel that my bowel has stool in it), I then feel the need to go, I go and pass a couple of stools and then almost within an hour I feel like I have to go again and it is very spluttery and not very solid, but not liquid.

The waking up in the middle of the night needing to go is something completely new and I have never had to do this, and yet it happens almost every other night, and is causing me to gain a lack of sleep as well

I'm unsure whether it is just a cycle I'm going through, or if its something more sinister, or if it is a change in diet.

A few things that I had changed to my daily routine included taking in a protein shake twice a day made with water, green tea tablets and drinking approx 4 litres of water a day and having an apple for breakfast (with a protein shake)

I have since stopped taking the green tea tablets and the protein shakes, reduced my water intake to approx 2-3 litres per day and I still have an apple for breakfast each day.

Other than that, I eat normal meals, nothing out of the ordinary.

I exercise three times a week (1 hour each session) and have been doing so for the past 2-3 years, and I usually only ever drink water and have never experienced this problem before.

I am also a 29 year old male

Category: Gastroenterologist, Medical

Expert:  Dr. Ratnakar Kini replied 4 Days.

Thanks for posting your query at DoctorSpring.com. I am Dr.R.K and I am pleased to assist you.

I went through your post about your bowel movements. Waking up in the middle of the night for bowel movement is not at all a normal thing. It needs to be evaluated.

A stool test and a colonoscopy may have to be done.

Meanwhile take high fiber diet and probiotic supplements and drink enough fluids for relief.

Please update me once stool test and colonoscopy are done.

Dr.R.K

Dr. Ratnakar Kini
Fellowship - DM - TN Dr.MGR Medical UniversityResidency - TN Dr.MGR Medical University Medical School - Stanely Medical College, TN Dr.MGR Medical University