BLOOD TRACES IN URINE after antibiotics for UTI. CANCER?

I have just taken two courses of antibiotics for what seemed to be a UTI ( I have had 3 in the last 12 months but my urine test is still showing microscopic traces of blood and WBC but no nitrates - I have slight lower abdominal discomfort but no other symptoms except need to urinate often. I am panicking that I might have bladder cancer - I had a full blood test 4 months ago which were all fine v low in the maker that shows if you are fighting something - Do I need to worry ? I am seeing a urologist in 2 weeks but I am panicking - am I right in thinking that if it was something serious there would have been abnormalities in the bloods ? could it be kidney stones ? I do not smoke and otherwise I am healthy slim and fit . I am 51 and post menopausal ( hence the frequent UTI's I think ) please can you reassure me. Thank you

Category: Urologist

Expert:  Dr. Rajiv Goel replied 4 Days.

Reply from the Urologist :
<<
Dear Madam,
From your description it appears that you are suffering from UTI and need treatment for the same.
As you seem to be having recurring UTIs, you would need a urine culture and antibiotic sensitivity test and antibiotics which are found sensitive should be started.
You also need to get your sugars tested to check for Diabetes as recurrent UTIs are common in Diabetes.
You do not need to worry about cancer of the bladder. This is highly unlikely.
You need to get ultrasound KUB (Kidney, Ureters, Bladder) done and in the meantime you take plenty of fluids including cranberry juice.
Feel free to discuss further.
Sincerely,
Dr Rajiv Goel,
MS (AIIMS), MCh (AIIMS), DNB (Uro),
Consultant Urologist. >>
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello. Thank you for choosing DoctorSpring.com.
Your consult has been reviewed and due to its specific nature, we have requested for a Urologist's opinion. Hence we have upgraded your consult FREE to a 35$ specialist consult. As a result there might be further delay as the MD will need to review your case.
Sorry for the inconvenience.
Wish you good health! Thank you. In-house Physician, The DoctorSpring Team.

Thank you, I was just worried because I have just had 2 courses of antibiotics and my urine is still showing blood and WBC's, is that just because they are not working ? There are no nitrates, and the after the last bout of a UTI I had a cultur test done and it come back normal. I had a begnin parathyroid tumor removed in december and before that i had high levels if calcuim in my blood, could this be related, maybe kidney stones ? I will ask for a scan, but if bladder cancer is unlikely I will stop worring. Thank you

Expert:  Dr. Rajiv Goel replied 3 Days.

The possibilty of stone disease is high especially considering past history. You should stop worrying about cancer and stay reassured.
Take care,

Dr. Rajiv Goel
MCh(urology) Medical Council of India
Fellow, Laparoscopic urology, Germany
Fellow, Urooncology and Robotic urology, Australia
DNB - NBE
Felloship - MCH, Urology/Genito-Urinary Surgery, AIIMS, 2004
Residency - MS, Master of Surgery, AIIMS, 2001
Medical School - MBBS, Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery, AIIMS, 1998