Burning pain when urinating and pain in kidney area

I thought I had a UTI because I was having burning pain when urinating and pain in my kidney area. So, I went to a urologist and the did a urine test and x ray to check for kidney stones. They said the tests were clear. I am still having pain in my kidneys. I don't know what is wrong with me.

I will require some additional information and clarification from you so that I can provide my best learned opinion.

- Kidney pain is a non specific term used to denote pain in back, pain in loin and also pain in genitals. Where exactly are you having the pain ?

- For how long are you having the pain ?

- Do you have pain while urination ?

You can reply as a followup

I have been having the pain for about 2 months. The pain is in my back area right above my buttocks. No pain while urinating.

The pain is actually not very suggestive of UTI or Kidney related pain. This is especially true with the negative urine test and Xray. Most probably the pain is related to a pinched nerve or strained muscle in the back. You can take a OTC pain reliever like Ibuprofen 400mg two to three times daily, and also you should give some rest to the back.
You should discuss these with your Doctor and if your Doctor examines you and confirms the diagnosis of a pinched nerve or sprained muscles, you should consider doing back muscle strengthening exercises. These exercises need to be tailored and will form the mainstay of the treatment.

There is one exercise you can start doing even now – The one titles back extensions in this link http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Backpain/Pages/low-back-pain-exercises.aspx . Please note if you have any discomfort on doing this, please stop it and contact your Doctor.

Please feel free to ask followup questions.