Candidal Balanitis.

The base of my glans has some redness and the area between the base of the glans and the foreskin (when retracted) is not smooth, looks slightly unclean. the base of the glan is also itchy

I had unprotected sex with my wife and this condition developed about 2-3 days later.

You are possibly having Candidal Balanitis - a fungal infection of the glans penis. The diagnosis can be confirmed by a KOH mount. You need to maintain proper hygiene in the glans and surrounding area. The treatment would be application of Candid (Clotrimazole 1 % cream ) over the glans penis, groove and the undersurface of foreskin twice daily IN CONSULT with your Doctor,

Let me know if your wife is also having some symptoms - such as white discharge. In that case she will also need treatment. Please note, the diagnosis can be confirmed only by testing. You can also do a fasting blood sugar test to rule out diabetes.

Feel free to ask followups