Chronic Autoimmune Hepatitis.

I have received the following note from an employee and just wanted to understand the condition and the outlook. I have removed name and details for privacy.

"To Whom it may concern:

XXXXX has been diagnosed with chronic autoimmune hepatitis. Due to complications, he has been receiving treatment at the ***** hospital over the past 3 months. XXXXX’s prognosis is positive but he will require long term treatment for his condition. "

I also wanted to check if there are any reasons to suspect that the note is not valid.

Autoimmune hepatitis has different presentations and fluctuating nature, leading to marked variability in its clinical manifestations. Some patients can be severely symptomatic, while some will have no symptom at all.

AH is a chronic hepatitis and is characterized by presence of antibodies. Along with autoimmune hepatitis, if there are other co existing diseases, the treatment prognosis changes. As I said Symptoms can vary from no symptoms, to sometimes debilitating symptoms and in some cases acute liver failure. So prognosis and outcome depends on the severity of the illness based of symptoms lab and histologic findings, when it was diagnosed. Hence it is difficult to say what is the exact prognosis in your employee without knowing his history.

However overall prognosis of patients on treatment is good. Upto 90 % of patients with moderate to severe autoimmune hepatitis will respond to treatment. Depending on the severity, long term treatment is required, and maintenance dose will be requires. But relapse is common in case of autoimmune hepatitis and usually occurs within 12 months of drug withdrawal.

----
The note seems legit and I have not seen anyone making claims about rare disease like Autoimmune hepatitis without merit. However the note is very brief, so cannot tell much. I hope it has the Doctor's name and signature.

Feel free to ask followups