Chronic dizziness, nausea, sense of motion, HYPERACUSIS. MENIERES?

hello,

If you can access my last q/a with you concerning dizziness you will have complete background on my hx. in brief: chronic dizziness ( daily, all day) since January 2014, nausea,false sense of motion, some visual effects of seeing things move back and forth (more like sliding), recently developed hyperacusis, tinnitus that changes pitch ( high pitched). no vertigo at all. sometimes when I lay down on my back with eyes closed I get a few seconds of feeling like I am spinning. goes away when I open my eyes. two differ docs think a different cause. one thinks scds ( although ct scan doesn't definitely show one. one doc thinks menieres. he put me on acetazolamide 125mg bid. if this makes me feel better, does it mean I have menieres? and if I don't have it will it harm my vestibular system in any way?

thanks
steve

Category: ENT Specialist

Expert:  Dr. Sunil Jalan replied 4 Days.

I can understand your problem
I have seen your previous mail and reply also. You were suffering from giddiness, you were diagnosed with ? SSCCD, but your CT was normal and your giddiness improved.
Now you are suffering from hyperacusis, tinnitus, but no giddiness. Do you have hearing loss? Hearing loss is a important component of meneire’s disease. You can do audiogram, EcOG, EEG test to confirm or rule out SSCCD and meneire’s disease.
Symptoms of spinning sensation on lying down with closed eye which improves in few seconds are suggestive of BPPV only. You need to repeat you Positional test (Dix-halpaike Menovuer) to confirm it and it can be corrected with exercise(epley”s menovuer) like last episode.

Acetazolamide 125mg bid can be used for treatment of meneire’s disease, it does not have any serious side effect, but I will suggest you to do ENG and ECog before starting medication.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask further queries.

Best regards

hi.,
i still have the dizziness. i've had those tests within the last few months and none indicated hydrops. the hyperacusis started a few months ago as did the vision movement. i've had those tests within the last few months and none indicated hydrops. my dr put me on diamox. i have been taking it for a few days. will it harm anything if i dont have hydrops? i have no loss of hearing and tested negative for bppv. but i think the diamox is helping, does this indicate hydrops?
thanks
steve

Expert:  Dr. Sunil Jalan replied 3 Days.

As your hearing is normal, you dont have classical meneire’s disease, but it may be atypical presentation also. As all other investigation also done and you are getting symptomatic improvement with diamox you should continue it as it is quite safe drug and can be used for long term without any complication. once you get good symptomatic improvement then you can stop it.

Best regards

Dr. Sunil Jalan
DAA (Diploma in asthma and allergy) : Christian Medical College, Vellore, 2012
D.N.B (ENT), 2011
Residency - M.S. (Master post graduate degree in otorhinolaryngology),  Christian Medical College, Vellore, 2009
D.L.O. (Diploma in otorhinolaryngology) - Christian Medical College, Vellore, 2007
Medical School - M.B.B.S, S.P. Medical college, Bikaner, 2004