Crampy rectum after ANAL MASTURBATION with CARROT.

Dear doctor,
I am a girl (age 22) who finds herself in a rather compromising situation. I apologise for the nature of my question, but I can’t seem to stop panicking. I am the worst kind of hypochondriac and my parents and I are expats residing in a non-English-speaking country so approaching medical proffessionals is difficult under the best of circumstances. I had a rootless, lonely upbringing and I suppose it’s not left me without psychological scars. I really don’t know who I am – I like boys, but I’ve never wanted to be kissed (much less wanted do anything else). It was some desire to know whether I am in fact asexual, coupled with not having anyone to talk to, which led to me doing something daft 4 days ago. I got it in my head to attempt anal masturbation with a 15 cm carrot – pealed, scrubbed with soap, dettol and boiling water then covered in several layers of plastic wrap and again washed with boiling water and dettol. I held onto the tip wrapped in a towel so I wouldn’t lose my grip and covered it in vaseline. The experience was uncomfortable – I suppose peeling the carrot made the edges rougher than they should have been – but there was no bleeding, and there’s been no bleeding whatsover since. I’ve had daily, normal bowel movements since with no sign of blood or mucuous, and after four days I’ve not experienced any abdominal pain, vomiting or fever. I am, however, aware of a dull crampy ache deepish in my rectum, it feels a bit like chafing or like I need to have a bowel movement. It is reminiscient of when I had internal haemrroids a few years back. Having googled around this topic for 4 days I am now petrified that I am about to die from a perforated rectum/colon and resulting perontitus. I know what I did was foolish. Please tell me – given my symptoms – do you think I am likely to die from a perforated rectum and perontitus?
Thank you in advance,
Courtney

Expert:  Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy replied 4 Days.

I have reviewed the entire history, and the fact that there was no bleeding after the exposure and also that till now the bowel movement is normal, rules out any chances of perforation or peritonitis. In fact, in peritonitis there will be immediate high-grade fever warranting an admission to ER.
Regarding rectal perforation, if it had to happen, it would have happened right away, and would have caused severe bleeding.
So, please do not worry. The pain is because you tried it for the first time, and also the object was a little sharp, so there will be tiny rectal injuries inside which will heal on it's own.

Dr. J

Dr. Jaydeep Tripathy
MBBS from Sri Ramachandra University in December 2011
M.Med (Family Medicine) - TNMGR University, Chennai
MBA-MPH in Public Health in March 2016, SRM University
Finished AFIH in March 2016, SRM University
MRCP ( UK ), Internal Medicine, Royal College of Physicians, June 2016
Fellowship in Diabetology from Martin Luther University in January 2017

Currently Senior Residency in MD Radiodiagnosis - Kamakshi Memorial Hospital, Chennai