Difficulty in vision, headaches with EMPTY SELLA in MRI.

Hi

I had an MRI back in 2005 that showed an empty sella

Did not think about it much

Had a hyperparathyroidusm and removal of one parathyroid...in 2007

Now as I started checking into why I have been experiencing difficulty with my vision and headaches....the empty sella popped up...

Yes....the percentage of folks who experience problem symptoms with empty sella is low.....or is it...how about fifty percent of empty sella folks get the headaches and ten percent get vision problems.

It all seems to fit ....cause you produce less cortisol...which leads to inflamation...which has been rampant with me....plus I have a few. Plus a few other symptoms.

My question is...

Without seeming to diagnose myself with my doctor....how do I present these facts to my doctor without seeming like I am diagnosing myself....

Because I backed into this very organically...that is....this empty sella thing is screaming at me very loud

Also....it seems I am probably going to have to get the pituitary glad chamber repaired in surgery to help the vision problems....

Can you tell me or give me some references that explain the whole empty sella and the treatments for symptoms

Peace

Christopher

Category: Neurologist, Medical

Expert:  Dr. Sudhir Kumar replied 4 Days.

Thank you for posting your query at DoctorSpring.com
I have noted your symptoms, MRI brain findings, and your thinking about these. I appreciate your thoughts over the matter.
Regarding empty sella, it could be a normal finding in many.
In addition, empty sella can exist with idiopathic intracranial hypertension (increased pressure in the brain fluid). This can lead to headaches as well as decreased vision. Idiopathic intracranial hypertension can be excluded by doing a fundus examination (by an eye specialist). If the fundus shows evidence of high pressure (papillodema), then, a lumbar puncture may be needed.
Another possibility to be excluded with empty sella is hypopituitarism. For this, hormone tests for cortisol, thyroid and prolactin may be checked in the blood.
I hope it helps.
Best wishes,
Dr. Sudhir Kumar MD (Medicine), DM (Neurology)
Senior Consultant Neurologist

Dr. Sudhir Kumar
Senior Residency, Fellowship: DM, Neurology, CMC, Vellore, 2001
Junior Residency: MD, Internal Medicine, CMC, Vellore, 1998
Medical School: MBBS, Christian Medical College, Vellore, 1995