Eale's Disease.

My husband is 27 years old healthy man.He is diamond grader. From last 2 days he is diagnosed with Eale's disease at initial level. His right eye is affected from it and sees everything yellow and blur. He is taking multivitamins A,C,E from last 2 days.
What is the cure of it? Will his sight be perfectly fine as before? Please give detailed answer. We are tensed.

Category: Ophthalmologist

Expert:  Dr. Manish Malhotra replied 4 Days.

Hello and thankyou for approaching DoctorSpring with your query.
I have gone through your case and understand your concern.
Eales is a condition where there is inflammation of the vessels of the eye in the peripheral retina, leading to vitreous hemorrhage. The usually intervention is to wait and watch as it can take upto 3 months for the hemorrhage to clear. If it does not clear then surgical intervention may be required.

I would advise him to continue the medications and sleep in a propped with his head raised with pillows.
In order to rule out any underlying cause of the disease he will have to do a few tests if they have not already been done. If already done no need to repeat them.

Tests are, Complete blood count, Serum chemistry profile, Urinalysis with microscopy, Antinuclear antibodies (ANA) , Antiphospholid antibodies, Rapid plasma regain, IgG and IgM anticardiolipin antibodies, IgG and IgM anti beta 2 glycoprotein, Lupus anticoagulant assay, Rheumatoid factor, ANCA , serological test for syphilis, Chest X-Ray, Fluorescein angiography , ultrasonography and Ocular coherence tomogram.
Not all tests may be required. Tests will be picked by your doctor depending on his physical examination.

It is advisable that he continue his present medications and get re examined every month. At the end of 3 months the doctor will take a call whether surgery is required or no, as some resolve spontaneously.
How much his eyesight improves depends on many factors, like how early it was detected, severity of the disease. Usually patients with Eale’s have a favorable outcome.

Wishing him a speedy recovery. Feel free to follow up.
Thankyou
Dr Manish Malhotra
Consultant Eye Surgeon

Here is the scanned copy of his tests and report done at an eye hospital.

Expert:  Dr. Manish Malhotra replied 3 Days.

Hello, thankyou for uploading the report.
I have gone through it. The report is a tentative diagnosis. He will require a dilated fundus examination to be done after which we will have a clearer picture of the diagnosis. As of now continue the current treatment that he is on.
I hope this has helped.
Thankyou

Dr. Here are the enclosed reports of diluted fundus examination and blood diagnosis report.
Kindly go through it and give me complete explanation.
Blood reports are normal.

Expert:  Dr. Manish Malhotra replied 2 Days.

I have gone through the reports and he has a Branch Retinal Vein Occlussion (BRVO), which is a retinal vascular disease. BRVO is seen in Eales.
For now continue the present medication as prescribed. Like I said the usual protocol is to wait and watch as in some cases the hemorrhage resolves in about 3 months.
However I would advise you to visit a retina specialist for further management of his condition.
Usually patient's with Eale's have a favorable outcome.

I hope this helps.
Wishing him good health.
Thankyou

Dr. Manish Malhotra
Fellowship: L. V. Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad
Fellow Pediatric Ophthalmology & Squint (L.V. Prasad Eye Institute, Hyderabad)
Medical School, Residency: MBBS, DOMS, FLVPEI, Nagpur university, 1995