Erectile dysfunction and low libido in teenage male

Dear doctor,

I am an 18 years old guy. I have a normal BMI and I maintain my health with utmost care. Professionally, I am a weight lifter. I began to lose my libido from about 10 months from now. It was decreasing significantly. To add oil to this fire, I started getting affected with erectile dysfunction too. I was not like this, before. I used to masturbate about 4-5 times a week, when I was 17. I have tried many methods to get the dysfunction cured, but nothing helped. It is not getting erected even after I think about it. It seems like there is no need of it. I tried the just relax method, staring at the girls, and much more, but nothing helped me. I am planning to consult a urologist on coming 15th. But can you suggest me any alternative ways to help me out in this situation? Anyway, I want to get out of this weird condition at the soonest. Thanks.

Expert:  Dr. Steve Merris replied 4 Days.

It is really unfortunate to know that you are getting reduced libido and sex drive. You should be concerned about the symptoms you mentioned here, I think. In teenagers, libido reduction is what occurs at times. However, it is not so common in youngsters, to getting affected with erectile dysfunction. You might need a detailed medical checkup, if the situation is persisting for more than a few months. I think your problems are more psychological than physical. If they are psychological, you can get it cleared through a successful medical counseling. Prior to that, try keeping stress and tension out of your sexual life. Don’t get anxious about your performance or libido, at all. Just try a relaxed method to approach your partner. Your family doctor also can help, if you are having light mental issues than complicated ones. Your physician can help in advising you better with medications, supplements, nutritional deficiencies, hormonal problems or penile problems. 

Dr. Steve Merris
Medical School - New York University
Internship in Internal Medicine - Beth Israel Medical Center
Residency in Internal Medicine - Beth Israel Medical Center
Fellowship in Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine - Columbia University Medical Center