Feeling sensation, heaviness in face with normal MRI.

Dear Sir I am feeling sensation and heaviness on my left side of face. first sensation started on my tongue after my ear surgery 4 years old patientago. but now since one month its increasing and reached on face. since last 10 days i am feeling heaviness also in my face. i consulted neurologist and he advised for MRI test last month and test result was completely OK. but sensation and heaviness is still remain same. i am in too much tense because of this. My age is 31.

Category: Neurologist, Medical

Expert:  Dr. Sudhir Kumar replied 4 Days.

Thank you for posting your query at DoctorSpring.com
I have noted your symptoms and would like to reassure you that your symptoms do not suggest any serious neurological disease. The fact that MRI brain was normal also excludes any serious disease.
The symptoms are suggestive of minor damage to trigeminal nerve, which supplies sensation to face.
You can take medications such as pregabalin capsules or carbamazepine tablets for relief of symptoms.
I hope it helps.
Best wishes,
Dr. Sudhir Kumar MD (Medicine), DM (Neurology)
Senior Consultant Neurologist

Dear sir
If trigeminal nerve is damaged then what is way to correct it. what will be future effect after this damage.

Expert:  Dr. Sudhir Kumar replied 3 Days.

Thank you for getting back.
The nerve damage recovers on own over time (few weeks to months). There are future ill effects of this partial damage.
Best wishes,
Senior Consultant Neurologist

Dear Sir
Kindly let me know what kinde of feature ill effect. what is permanent solution of this problem ?. why is its spreading.
need your complete consultation and further treatment.

Expert:  Dr. Sudhir Kumar replied 2 Days.

Thank you for getting back.
I can understand your anxiety, however, I would like to reassure you the ill effects are very minor. These may include numbness and pain over face. These also tend to get better over time. As I said, I expect complete improvement in your case in a few weeks to 2-3 months.
Since your MRI brain is normal, no major treatment is needed.
You can take carbamazepine tablets to reduce the sensation and heaviness. Vitamin supplements such as B12, alpha lipoic acid and pyridoxine may be used to heal the nerve damage.

Dr. Sudhir Kumar
Senior Residency, Fellowship: DM, Neurology, CMC, Vellore, 2001
Junior Residency: MD, Internal Medicine, CMC, Vellore, 1998
Medical School: MBBS, Christian Medical College, Vellore, 1995