Gagging after swallowing a piece of pine straw. Serious?

My baby was playing with pine straw this evening, she put it in her mouth and gagged as she swallowed a piece, since then she has been fussy however she missed her late nap and is cutting more teeth so that could be the cause. But she keeps gagging a little when she nurses and rubbing her nose as if it is irriatating her. Could it be stuck in her throat and if so should I be taking her to er?

Category: Pediatrician

Expert:  Dr. Saptharishi L G replied 4 Days.

Dear parent,
Your concerns are valid. This scenario is suggestive of a foreign body. It could be stuck in her throat, food pipe or worse, even in her windpipe.. If it is, then it would be important to remove it safely.
I urge you to visit a pediatric emergency at the earliest to get her evaluated. If after examination, the paediatrician feels that such a possibility exists, they may advise a upper GI endoscopy or flexible bronchoscopy.
Wishing her a speedy recovery.
Dr. Saptharishi L G

Dr. Saptharishi L G
Senior Residency: DM,  Pediatric Critical Care, PGIMER

Residency: MD, Pediatrics, Postgraduate Medical Education & Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh, 2013

Internship: JIPMER, 2009

Medical School: MBBS, Jawaharlal Institute of Post-graduate Medical Education & Research (JIPMER), Puducherry, 2008