Headaches and blackouts. What could this be?

Hello, I'm turning 13 this June. I've been experiencing this thing that every time I wake up and stand up from the couch, my head suddenly aches so much, I get dizzy and my eyes hurt and it black-outs for a short time. And one time, when I stood up from the couch, I suddenly fell back from the couch. And every time I stand from the couch and look outside, my eyes suddenly black out for a short time and I get dizzy. Thank you.

Hello, I understand your concern. They are different types of headaches like

a) Tension headache: which is very common, occurs around the head especially at the back or the temple and do not prevent your daily activities that can be relieved by tablets paracetamol or ibuprofen.

b) Cluster headache: usually it affects men more than women. Occurs in groups or cycles, severe and on one side of the head. It usually presents with congestion or runny nose, watering eyes. The cause is not known, may be genetic.

c) Sinus headache: usually is due to infection along with fever or variation in pollen. Antibiotics, antihistamines or decongestants will relieve presence of pus in the sinus cavity.

d) Rebound headache: usually due to excessive use of painkillers or may be due to sudden withdrawal of drug.

e) Migraine headache: usually there is a family history present. May get 4-5 episodes, lasts for 4-72 hours, one sided pain, throbbing, sometimes moderate to severe, gets worsened by routine activities. Sometimes there is sensitivity to light and sound.

f) Eyestrain headache: due to watching too much TV or reading that hurts your vision or logging in front of the computer.

g) Hormone headache: appears especially during menstruation, because of imbalance in estrogen and progesterone levels.

h) Hangovers: due to excessive alcohol consumption.

i) Transformed migraines: here the pain is less severe but it is throbbing.

j) Caffeine withdrawal headache: usually throbbing occurs especially when you miss your coffee.

In your case, it looks more like migraine headache. You can take tablet ibuprofen twice a day after food for 5 days. I would suggest you to get an MRI of the brain to find out the cause. If you still have a headache, then you should consult your doctor and get complete physical examination, blood tests, and review the reports with the doctor for further management. Thank you.