Heavy knee joint pains with swelling. RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS?

sir, i am 75 years old patientold. male.my both knees are getting swelling. i feel heavy knee joint pains while standing and walking. is this Rheumatoid arthritis? wether i need any surgery or cured with medicines.sugges medicines ,how to use ?

Category: Orthopedic Surgeon

Expert:  Dr. Mukesh Tiwari replied 4 Days.

I have read your query with diligence.
Will you please answer some questions so that i can help you-
-Since when this swelling is there?
-Is this associated with fever?
-Is there involvement of other joints ?
-Is there morning stiffness?
-What are factors which increases pain & gives relief in this?
Once you reply i can give you my diagnosis.

This swelling is from last six months,...it is not associated with fever....some joints in my hands (not all joints)makes little pain,but major pains are in my knees...no there is no morning stiffness,but in the early morning i feel a little relief from joint pains.......when i stand my knees pain increases,when i take rest in the bed i feel some little relief

Expert:  Dr. Mukesh Tiwari replied 3 Days.

Thanks for the additional information.

I have gone through your details and you seem to have Osteoarthritis of the knee, where the knee joints have degenerated as a result of aging etc.
You should do the following for relief :
- If this is in the early stage, then you may get relief by doing quadriceps strengthening exercises. A physiotherapist may help you with this.
- Avoid in sitting in cross-legged position.
- I usually give a combination tablet of Tramadol with Paracetamol, twice a day after food in such cases for pain relief.
- You should also take a tablet with combination of Glucosamine and Chondroitin sulphate, twice a day for this.
- Do warm fomentation at least 3 times a day over the knees.

- In severe cases, surgical replacement of knee is helpful.

Hope this was helpful to you. Let me know if you have further queries.

Sir, wether i have to use two types of tablets i.e ( 1.) Tramadol with paracetamol tablets and (2.) Glucosamine and chondroitin sulphate tablets.or only one type.........then sir tell me the quantity of medicine 100 mg, 200mg ,or 300mg........how long i have to use that medicines.......glucosamine and chondroitin tabs equal to glucosamine sulphate potassiumchloride msm and diacerein tabs are same or not

Expert:  Dr. Mukesh Tiwari replied 2 Days.

You should take both these tablets.
You should avoid diacerin combination .
Glucosamine can be taken in 1500 mg a day.
Paracetamol doses 350 mg thrice a day.Tramadol 37.5mg once or twice a depending onpainlevel with excess of pain you may take it twice a day.
Hope this will help you.

You should take both these tablets.
You should avoid diacerin combination .
Paracetamol doses 350 mg thrice a day.Tramadol 37.5mg once or twice a depending on painlevel with excess of pain you may take it twice a day.
Hope this will help you.

Dr. Mukesh Tiwari
Fellowship - Khandaka Hospital, Jaipur
Residency - MS, Rabindranath Tagore Medical College, Udaipur, 2000
Medical School, Internship - MBBS, SMS Medical College, Jaipur, 1995